Chapter 46: Love Is Hard

When they finally landed, the hanger door opened and hope flared in Halftail's chest. He saw Ezra and Keen, both safe. Molis, Sabine, Adlerleaf, and Zeb were there as well, but Halftail's eyes were rested on Keen.

    "Keen," he purred as he bounded forward and touched his nose to Keen's ear.

    Keen looked up with glowing eyes. "Halftail, you should have been there! It was amazing! You should have seen what we did," rambled Keen as he jumped a bit on his paws, his tail wagging madly.

    Halftail looked up and tilted his head as his gaze rested on Molis and Adlerleaf. "What was so 'amazing' about it," he inquired.

    Adlerleaf dipped her head a bit, her fur clumped with sweat and ruffled from her time in battle. "We'll tell you about it later, but right now I think we all need some rest."

    Halftail dipped his head, stepping aside as Adlerleaf strode forward. She stopped in front of Swifttail and the two touched noses, purring warmly and affectionately. Halftail's heart ached in his chest, but he didn't say anything. He watched as they strode into the hanger door.

    Molis was dusty and mud caked his face. Bluefeather darted forward and they exchanged some words before she began to groom his fur with quick rasps of her tongue.

    The two strode into the hanger, Molis limping while Bluefeather helped support his weight. Birchfoot was waiting impatiently, walking forward to usher Molis forward, his tail kinked over his back. Bluefeather was right behind while Sabine and Zeb lumbered forward, as dirty and tired looking as both Molis and Adlerleaf.

    There was also a young boy who seemed to be Ezra's age standing next to Ezra. Kanan motioned him forward, promising that they would get him back to his family. At least he still had one.

    Halftail turned back to Keen and he licked him between the ears, tasting dirt and grit. "I'm very proud of you," praised Halftail as a deep purr rolled in the back of his throat.

    Keen wagged his tail before meeting Halftail's gaze proudly. "You should have seen us! We did some amazing things and we hurt the Empire!"

    Halftail rested his tail across Keen's shoulders. "Come on," he rumbled as he rolled his eyes. "Let's get you cleaned up and you can tell me all about it."

    They all strode into the Ghost with the hanger door closing behind them. Keen laid down across from Adlerleaf as Swifttail began to lap at her dirty fur in an attempt to clean it.

    "We took down the Empire," boasted Keen as his chest heaved in exhaustion.

    Adlerleaf turned her head and purred gently. "We hurt part of the Empire, we didn't take it down yet," she chided as she stretched out her tail and flicked it against his ear good-naturally. "Don't get ahead of yourself, little one."

    Keen smiled before he rested his head on his paws. Halftail lowered his head and began to groom his fur between his shoulders. It really didn't do much to clean the dust and dirt from his once brilliant blue fur, but Halftail wanted Keen to at least feel cooler.

    Birchfoot strode over and looked at Keen. "I'll give him some thyme to calm him down and poppy to sleep. After a good nights sleep he should feel a lot better," he meowed before he pushed the herbs over to Keen.

    Keen sniffed them slightly in distain before he sunk his teeth into them and began to chew painfully. It was bitter and tasted awful. Halftail knew from experience. Once Keen was finished, he yawned and rested his head on his paws as Halftail continued to groom Keen's pelt. Once he knew that he couldn't get anything else out he drew back and looked over to Adlerleaf and Swifttail. They were laying extremely close to each other with their fur brushing and tails intertwined.