Chapter 36: Saving Your Life

Rage burned in Swifttail stomach and he surged forward. He launched himself at the blaster and pushed it away from his father. The shot went off again and when Swifttail looked to his father he was limp with blood oozing from a gash on his head. Molis was limp as well and terror pulsed through Swifttail.

    The man stretched out and grasped Swifttail by the throat. Swifttail struggled to breathe as he lifted him up. Pain flashed through him and so did terror.

    "Let him go," snarled Adlerleaf as she raised her paw toward the man. The man rose up a bit and he dropped Swifttail. Swifttail fell beside Halftail and looked up with round eyes. Adlerleaf released the man in shock at what she had just done.

    Adlerleaf darted forward and so did Bluefeather and Keen. They all pulled the ones that were injured away from the man who was now turned on Zeb. He jabbed him some more and Zeb kneeled as pain flashed through him. He bowed his head as the man raised his weapon, ready to end Zeb's life.

    "No," cried out Ezra as he raised his arms and used the force to propel the man backwards.

    The Ghost suddenly landed and Swifttail blinked his eyes. "Get up," he growled as he sunk his teeth into Halftail's scruff. Halftail mumbled something before Adlerleaf helped haul Halftail to shaky and barely moving paws.

    Bluefeather and Keen helped up Molis. They were extremely careful since his chest wound was quite severe. However, Birchfoot knew what he was doing so Bluefeather knew that he would be able to help him.

    They helped their injured friends toward the Ghost. Swifttail struggled to help his father up the ramp. Adlerleaf got behind him and pushed her head against Halftail's haunch to propel him forward. They managed to push him up and the hanger door shut as soon as Kanan and Molis made it in.

"Let me through," growled Birchfoot as he darted forward, his hind leg causing him to trip in urgency. He rose to paws once more and shook his pelt before he continued forward. "Who's the most severely injured?"

Swifttail collapsed and he flicked a shaky paw toward Molis. "Check out Molis. His chest wound is deep," confessed Swifttail as he struggled for breath.

Birchfoot nodded as he darted forward and lowered beside Molis. He turned him on his back. Molis tried to push Birchfoot away from him, but Birchfoot growled. "Hey, I can't help you if you're going to push me away. I know you're in pain, but I can help, I hope."

Molis mumbled in pain and Birchfoot turned to look at Sabine. "I need an oxygen mask. I can tell how hard it is for him to breathe," he ordered.

Sabine nodded and bounded away. Swifttail drew toward Birchfoot and saw Molis begin to thrash. "Bluefeather, could you please hold him down," he asked hopefully.

Bluefeather nodded and strode forward. She held him down to the best of her ability, trying to make sure that she didn't hit his chest wound. "Stay still, Molis," whispered Bluefeather in Molis's ear to try and calm him down.

Birchfoot pried around the singed fur around the wound. Agony shot through Molis and he nearly bucked upward. Birchfoot lowered his muzzle toward the wound and began to clean the burned flesh. Molis tried to let out a wail, but there wasn't enough oxygen in his lungs.

Sabine returned with an oxygen mask and a small portable machine. "Here," she exclaimed as she set it down gingerly and placed it over Molis's muzzle. She turned on the machine and he began to breathe more evenly.

"Thank you," murmured Bluefeather as she stroked Molis's face with one of her feathery wings.

Sabine nodded as she took a step back. Birchfoot turned back to Molis and once he pushed the dead flesh away, he saw the wound. It had just missed Molis's heart. It was close to puncturing a lung, but all it had done was maybe scarred the outside. It shouldn't have lasting effects, unless it became infected.