Chapter 80: Prey Eating Predator

Halftail watched as Zeb suited up with Molis weaving around him, offering jokes and jabs to try and lighten the mood. Halftail knew that Kanan didn't appreciate this idea and neither did he, but there wasn't much that they could do. They needed to know the places that the Empire didn't know about to form a base and apparently they were going to have to compromise.

    "Your eyes are cloudy and your front paw is twitching," assessed Birchfoot as he shot Halftail a sideways glance.

    Halftail made an effort to push his one paw against his twitching one to try and disguise it. He should have known that Birchfoot would be able to tell. He was just pleased that he had said something when he was alone. However, he wasn't so lucky as Swifttail came up beside them. He nudged his father's shoulder and Halftail looked up at him in surprise.

    "Dad," began Swifttail as he gazed at Halftail's cloudy and unfocused eyes. 

    Halftail thrust his head sideways to where Keen was pelting Horror with questions. "Go and make sure that Keen doesn't get himself killed," he ordered in a tone that didn't allow arguing.

    Swifttail dipped his head and Halftail was pleased that for once his son actually listened. He padded over to Keen and made sure that Keen didn't get himself killed.

    Birchfoot turned and pushed his head against Halftail's shoulder to push him back, just like how Swifttail had. "I want a full workup of you as soon as we arrive back at the Ghost. I'm worried about you, Halftail."

    Halftail turned away from him and watched as the tank came to a grinding half. He stalked to the front of the line and actually stopped beside Rex. Rex looked down and smiled timidly at Halftail. "You know, my Commander often talked about Brook."

    Halftail blinked his eyes in surprise as he gazed at Rex. "What are you talking about? Does everyone in the whole universe know Brook?"

    Rex laughed as he shook his head. "No, no. Her and her friends stopped a bombing at the Jedi Temple. They were legendary but their names were probably changed. Anyway, she was a hero and so were her friends. If you'd like to know the story, Horror and Swift were personally there."

    Halftail didn't want to talk to either of them, but he managed to nod in respect. He then heard screaming from Ezra and he surged forward. He stopped beside Kanan and he saw something come up from the ground and wrap it's tongue around Zeb. He then tugged it down and Zeb disappeared.

    "What is that," gasped Molis as he stood with eyes wide and claws sinking into the tank.

    Gregor's eyes seemed to be darting all around and Halftail was sure that he was crazy. "It's the big bongo!"

    Halftail shook his head madly as he turned to Kanan. Kanan seemed just as shocked as anyone with rage shinning in his eyes. "That thing just ate our friend," snarled Kanan as he turned to look at Rex.

    Rex huffed. "The only way for us to get your friend back is to catch the bongo. Help or you friend is gone," he pointed out.

    Halftail couldn't help but growl as he turned to Keen and Swifttail. The two nodded as they darted over to Rex with Horror right behind. "Can we help," begged Keen as he nearly bounced on his paw in eagerness.

    Rex nodded to Keen. "Use those nice wings of yours to fly over the place where it was last seen," he ordered, knowing it was just to distract him. It wasn't like Keen could do anything when he spotted it.

    Keen obeyed eagerly as he spread his wings and took to the air, his muscles tensing and contracting. He flew overhead of Halftail while Rex had Swifttail leap on top of whatever Rex was using to contain the beast. He struggled to keep himself from falling as it swerved and swiveled madly.