Chapter 17: Mentor

Swifttail surged forward as he leaped from stone to stone. The ground was a bit rough, but he just told himself it was part of his training. "Come on, Molis," called Swifttail over his shoulder. "This is fun!"

    "That's enough," growled Halftail as he surged forward and narrowed his eyes. "I don't want you falling from here and hurting yourself."

    Swifttail tilted his head. "But it's fun up here and Adler and Birch said that it was safe."

    "I don't care what Adler or Birch said," snapped Halftail as he lashed his stubby tail against the ground, sending a jolt up his spine. "They might be wrong."

    "I highly doubt that," interrupted Adler as she pranced forward on light paws. Swifttail looked up to her with admiration shinning in his eyes. "Birch and I were very mischievous kits and we got into a lot. Our mother was always finding us in strange places."

    Swifttail chuckled. "Really? You?"

    Halftail tried to stop her, but Adler pushed past him. "Oh, yes. I could show you some of our very favorite places," she offered as she nudged her nose against Swifttail's cheek.

    "I don't think-" Halftail began but Swiftail beat him to an answer.

    "I'd love to," purred Swifttail as he reared on his hind legs.

    Adler looked to Halftail. "I'll watch over him. Why don't you get some rest?"

    Halftail's jaw dropped, but before he could say anything Molis surged forward and pressed against Halftail. "Adler's right. You've been running rampant for moons now. A night of rest could do you very well, Halftail."

    Halftail couldn't believe that Molis would suggest that. However, he wasn't about to argue with him in front of Swifttail and Adler. "Alright, but be careful," he warned Swifftail.

    "I will," vowed Swifttail as he bounded forward with Adler at his side.

    "Would you like me to go too," inquired Sorrel as she crept forward with her tail curling over her back.

    Halftail gave a slight nod, feeling at if his son was falling through his claws. "Yes, thank you, Sorrel. Just don't impose. Swifttail seems to like her."

    Sorrel surged forward while Molis turned Halftail toward the stairs. Sorrel bounded to Adler's side, her eyes shinning as questions filled her mind.

    "So have you lived here all of your life," inquired Sorrel as she pressed against Adler a bit, standing on her tiptoes to try and seem as tall as her.

    Adler lowered down and smiled at Sorrel. "I have. I was born her, but I don't plan to die here. I'd like to leave Coruscant, but I couldn't leave Birch."

    "Is it hard to have a brother who is lame," pressed Sorrel.

    Adler narrowed her eyes and twitched her tail trip. "He's not lame! It's hard, but it's harder for him. I don't like to push him beyond his limit. I love my brother and I'd do anything for him."

    Sorrel knew that she probably shouldn't ask Adler anymore questions, so she strode toward Swifttail. He was lowering and pushing through any crack or crevice that he could. Eventually Adler took the lead and strode into a room. "Now, this is my favorite room. It's Birch's too, but once the Empire took over, we shared it."

    Swifttail pushed in and looked around in awe as Adler turned on the light with a flick of her tail tip. Stars seem to appear overhead while the wall was littered in bottles of labeled herbs. Sorrel strode after her and stopped when she found a bottle of herbs labeled, sorrel. "This is me! This is me!" She began to chant as she looked at the herb.