Chapter 25: Difficult Mission

A few years later

"Does everyone understand the plan," inquired Kanan as he lowered forward, using a hologram to explain everything.

Halftail's eyes narrowed. "This is a pretty large scale raid," he pointed out as his tail lashed and worry clawed at his belly. Besides, Swifttail was joining them.

"It's on Lathol," muttered Zeb as he looked toward Halftail. "All of our best raids are here. We get the best loot."

Halftail would never fully understand Zeb, but he was right. Lothal was the best place for a raid and they had been planning this one for moons. "Okay," he meowed as he looked toward Swifttail and Adlerleaf. They were also joining them on the raid while Birchfoot and Molis stayed behind with Hera and Chopper incase anything went array.

"Are you nervous," inquired Birchfoot as he looked down to Swifttail, who worked his claws against the ground.

Swifttail looked up. He had grown immensely in the past years and his voice had deepened while his fur thickened. "Not at all," he lied and Halftail could see right through it. "Why should I be nervous?"

Birchfoot looked over to Molis. "Oh yeah, he's nervous," he purred as he rose to his shaky legs and forced himself forward on three legs.

Molis dipped his head. "Good luck," he barked as he strode forward with his tail kinked over his back. "The last thing we need is more injuries for Birchfoot and Swifttail to fix. They've had their paws full."

"We'll be careful," assured Adlerleaf as she nodded to her brother. "This isn't our first raid, just our largest one."

Birchfoot didn't say anything, but Kanan rose to his feet and looked to the ones who were coming. "Is everyone who's coming ready?"

"Yes," announced Swifttail as he strode forward with Sabine and Zeb at his side.

The hanger door from the Ghost opened and Kanan was the first one to jump out. It wasn't that far from the ground, but it was still a bit high enough so no one would see. Halftail was next and he landed expertly next to Kanan, the wind whipping a bit through his fur. He shook his pelt and let out a hiss as dust blasted him in the face.

Swifttail landed beside him and he shook out his own pelt. "I forgot how much I hated this dusty planet," spat Swifttail as he shook his head. "Why can't we be somewhere with snow and ice!"

Adlerleaf landed a few paces away as she blinked her eyes. "I never had left Coruscant until you all arrived, but even I think it's a little hot, however it must be worse for a snow leopard."

Swifttail stuck his tongue out as he struggled to pant a bit. "I hope this is over quickly because I'd like to get out of here." Sabine and Zeb landed next and the ship flew away a bit. They would call Hera when they needed her.

They strode forward with Kanan and Halftail in the lead. Halftail scented the air and tasted the scent of the Empire; rancid, dark, and full of despair. They always swarmed Lothal this time of year and it made Halftail's pelt sweat and his ears twitch.

When they were a bit in the city, Kanan turned to look at Halftail. "You need 'it' don't you," he whispered so that the rest of the crew could hear.

Embarrassment washed over him. "Er yeah, I do," he confessed as he lashed his tail. "Coruscant and Lothal are the only places that I can find it, so I guess I'll be back."

Kanan turned his head. "I want Swifttail and Adlerleaf to go with you."

Halftail's fur spiked. "I can take care of myself," he reported, his voice rising and showing some suspicion.

Kanan raised a hand to try and calm Halftail. "I know, but there's also some guns in that sector that we can take in to sell. They keep the best by the medical supplies."

Halftail bit his cheek to keep from hissing something that he would regret at Kanan. "Alright," he finally sighed, his head shaking a bit. He flicked his tail over his back. "Swifttail, Adlerleaf, come with me."

They followed him without a complaint and they strode down the alleyways, tempted by the sweat smells of vender foods, but they didn't stop. Halftail led them to a more remote part of the city with the two behind him. Luckily, they didn't ask any questions and he was grateful.

Once they were at the right building, Halftail pawed at it until he found the opening and pushed it open with a growl. Swifttail and Adlerleaf surged through and he leaped through, closing the door behind him.

"What are we looking for," inquired Swifttail as his eyes adjusted to the dim light that was lighting the building, barely.

Halftail turned to look at them. "This is just for me. I need you two to guard the entrance and yowl if anyone comes in, okay," he meowed.

Adlerleaf and Swifttail exchanged a worried glance. "Are you sure you don't need backup," pressed Swifttail as his whiskers gave a worried twitch.

Halftail shook his head and tried to smile reassuringly. "I'm sure. You'll be much more help here, okay," he meowed as he touched his nose to Swifttail's ear.

Swifttail sighed heavily and dipped his head. "O-Okay. Be careful, Dad," he breathed as he took a step back and pressed a bit against Adlerleaf as they looked at the entrance with blazing eyes.

Halftail turned and surged forward. He had been to this place numerous times and he knew where everything was. There were so many different medical supplies, but the Empire wouldn't allow anyone to use it. That doesn't mean that desperate people didn't steal them, but they usually did at the wrong time and they weren't as stealthy as Halftail was. Plus, he was desperate. Those who were desperate were even more dangerous than those who weren't.

As he walked down the halls he felt another twitch in his tail. His tail began to lash back and forth madly. He growled under his breath in annoyance. It was happening and if he didn't get there soon, then his body would go into a full blown what Halftail liked to call 'an attack'. It had all happened a long time ago.