Chapter 33: Crew Is A Family

They arrived at Lothal and Halftail felt a strange tugging at his heart as he saw Keen stride out of the Ghost. Bluefeather followed, but she looked backwards and smiled at Molis. Molis smiled back at Bluefeather. Swifttail and Adlerleaf looked at Molis in surprise and he quickly looked away, huffing something under his breath.

    Halftail sighed heavily as he pushed forward to look at Keen. Keen looked upward, his eyes unreadable. "Thank you for saving my life," barked Keen as he pushed his head against Halftail's chest, avoiding his hairless neck from where he had had been burned.

    Halftail purred as he lowered his head over Keen's shoulder. Once he gave him a light squeeze, he looked to Bluefeather. "Thank you for saving my life. I suppose we're all even in some sorts."

    Bluefeather chuckled in amusement. "I suppose so. However, you did save Keen and for that I will be forever grateful. I don't know what would happen if I would have lost him."

    Keen blushed as Bluefeather licked him between the ears. Molis strode forward and blinked his eyes at Bluefeather. He looked like he wanted to say something, but he just couldn't. "May Starbound light your path," he managed to choke out.

    Bluefeather's eyes glowed as she met Molis's gaze. "And yours as well."

    She turned and strode away with Keen and Ezra at her side. Halftail took a step back and Birchfoot strode up to him, half gazing at his wound and half just wanting to speak with him. "You're going to miss Keen more than you're going to admit," breathed Birchfoot.

    Halftail bit his tongue. "I suppose." It was hard to admit that, though. He was sure there was something special about the young wolf, but Halftail doubted that it mattered now. He sighed as he turned and strode back into the Ghost, feeling hollow and numb. His paws tingled and he realized he needed a second dose of his serum.

    He growled, knowing how dependent he was growing on it. He didn't want anyone to know how bad it was getting, so it would just be easier if he did it himself. He strode to his and Kanan's room. He rummaged through the supplies that Bluefeather, Keen, and Ezra had given him. He suddenly twitched his ears when he realized that one was missing. His ears twitched and so did his nose. Keen's scent wafted through the room. He had been the one to go into the room and take the syringe. Why? He didn't need it.

However, that could make all the difference later so he decided that he should go and get it. He padded forward and bumped into Kanan's leg. Halftail looked up. "Sorry. My mind is wandering," he confessed. However, for a Jedi the mind should never be allowed to wander.

Kanan nodded in understanding. "My mind is troubled as well. I think that I need to go and speak with Ezra one last time. I'm going to offer to train him as a Jedi."

Surprise glowed in Halftail's eyes. "You are? Do you think that Keen has any Jedi tendencies?" He always wanted to train a padawan of his own. He had thought about training his son, but he was sure that would be frowned upon. He could train two Padawans at one time he supposed. There was nothing in the rules against training two Padawans, at least not now. It wouldn't have been allowed with the old Jedi ways, but those ways were gone. It was time for new traditions to take place.

Kanan sighed as he rubbed a hand over his face. "Are you thinking about training him and Swifttail?"

Halftail flicked his tail. "I'd probably only train Swifttail half the time. He'd be a healer as well as a Jedi," he murmured, knowing how important healers were to the crew now.

"Then come on. Keen and Ezra won't wait around forever and I'm not even sure that they'll agree," he pointed out before he strode toward the hanger with Halftail following. His tail waved in the air as he tried to think about what to tell both Bluefeather and Keen. She would have to agree for this to work. She was the closest thing to a mother that he had.