Chapter 54: Creatures In The Dark

"Ready to go," Kanan spoke through the comm as he let steered the Phantom away from the Ghost.

    The tracking device was thrust onto them and Halftail grimaced. He had dropped out of hyperspace abruptly once before and it wasn't pleasant. He hoped this time would be better. Even so, he laced a buckle over him so that he didn't go flying.

    "Be safe," whispered Hera through the comm, mostly at Kanan.

    Kanan nodded before they dropped out. Halftail felt the vibrations lightly at first before the full impact started. It felt like someone was trying to rip his skin and pelt off of his body. He gritted his teeth in agony while Keen let out a yelp of agony. Swifttail just hissed as he shook his head in a desperate effort to stop the dizziness.

    After a while, it died down and Halftail was able to take in a wheezy breath. It felt like someone was squeezing his chest and never wanted to let go. Eventually, the feeling began to dissipate and he was able to take in a breath. "That was interesting," he called over his shoulder before he let out a rewarded purr of amusement.

    Kanan chuckled. "That was the easy part."

    Keen shook his head so much that Halftail thought that his brains may ooze out from his ears. "Easy part? Well, what's going to be the hard part?"

    "You'll find out," answered Halftail over his shoulder as he looked to Kanan. "Lead the way. You know where we're going, even if I think that going there is a mistake."

    Kanan rolled his eyes at Halftail and Halftail reluctantly shrugged. He just kept his muzzle shut as they steered toward the asteroid belt and where the abandoned clone base was. Just the mention of clones was enough to send shiverers down Halftail's spine. He had been good friends with a few clones before they turned and now he didn't even want to think about them.

    "What kind of creatures are there," inquired Swifttail as he extended his claws impatiently. "I feel the presence of some creatures, rather large creatures."

    Kanan turned his head stiffly. "You're right, Swifttail. Hey, Ezra, do you know those creatures that you tried to bond with before? There are plenty of them there."

    Keen wrinkled his nose in disgust. "Those things look like a mix between a cat and a bat! They are ugly," he exclaimed before Halftail shot him a look. "The bat half I mean."

    Halftail turned back to the controls. "Swifttail, Keen, you're going to have to create bonds to each other and I. It will keep us strong and it should keep the creatures away. We also can't bond with Ezra and Kanan, at least not yet."

    "Why can't we bond," asked Keen as he strode up to Halftail. "The creatures are like us, so it should be really easy to bond with them, right?"

Halftail purred as he looked down at Keen. "You're quite right. However, this is for Ezra and Kanan. We can bond easily to them later."

Keen nodded before he bounded back over to Swifttail. He leaped up beside him excitedly. Swifttail hissed him away with a flash of his paw. Keen ducked away with his ears plastered against his head and slid away from Swifttail so he didn't agitate him further.

"Do you really think it's a good idea to be training right now," asked Ezra as the fear radiating off of him almost made Halftail double over. You didn't have to be a Jedi to sense it. His cat senses could just tell how uncomfortable Ezra was feeling.

Kanan shook his head. "No, but I found that the best way to teach is on the field, for survival."

"So our whole life depends on him," asked Swifttail as he shot Ezra a worried glance. He then shook his head and growled. "Great! We're all going to die!"