Chapter 105: Forgotten

"Breathe, then attack. Don't just use your eyes as your only senses. Hearing and even taste can help you as well as the force. You're also a cat and a wolf. Use that to your advantage. Your wings, your tail, your claws, your fangs. Those are things that no one else has and you should use them. Now, let's see what you got."

    "Awe, you always beat me," complained Keen as he lifted his lightsaber with one of his wings, the light reflecting in his eyes

    Swifttail purred. "You always beat me with tooth and claw. Now we're adding them both in together. Come on, Keen. I have faith in you," he reassured as he activated his lightsaber and twirled it around as he reared on his hind legs. He rarely walked on his hind legs, but he could for a short period of time.

    The two suddenly leaped forward, Swifttail flipping and turning slightly in the air. Their lightsabers collided before they drew backwards, Keen turning and hitting Swifttail in the face with one of his wings. Swifttail flew backwards, his lightsaber falling from his paw and rolling against the floor, landing right at Ezra's foot, who was watching intently.

    Swifttail looked up just in time to see Keen leaping for him. He used the force to call his lightsaber back to him as he lifted it and the lights collided sternly. They used their weight before Keen thrust his wing down once more and took out Swifttail's paws from under him. Swifttail fell on his back while Keen thrust his lightsaber an inch from Swifttail's throat.

    Keen then deactivated his lightsaber and extended his wing toward Swifttail. "Good match."

    "You too," praised Swifttail. "That was amazing! See, you can beat me."

    Keen hung his head. "You probably let me."

    "And why would I do that," teased Swifttail as he nudged his head against Keen's shoulders affectionately. Keen yipped in pleasure, but Halftail couldn't accept that.

    He loved that the two were closer than fur on a mole's pelt, but they couldn't be like this when they were fighting for their lives. Swifttail had to fight at his best to push Keen harder, not let the pup win because he was becoming frustrated. They were all frustrated, but that didn't mean that they gave in.

    "Very good, both of you. You both had some good moves that I think that we should pay attention to. But, Swifttail, you weren't done just because you were on your back. You could have tucked and kicked Keen's paws or you could have reached for your lightsaber. It was right there," Halftail assessed.

    Swifttail dipped his head, taking it all in until Keen realized that it was his turn.

    "Keen, a battle will never be won this easy. We need to refine that a little more and your wings can't be your only weapons. Use everything that you have," Halftail pressed just as he heard excited cheering from the top of the railing.

    He glanced up to find Swifttail's kits perched at the top of it, back far enough from where Swifttail had told them not to pass. They seemed excited beyond belief to see their father fighting like that. They were grinning from ear to ear and seemed to be trying to copy some of their father's and Keen's moves, under Bluefeather's watchful eyes.

    Halftail sighed as he looked up to Swifttail, seeing the pure love and grief etched on his face. "Go and spend sometime with your kits. Keen, why don't you see if Bluefeather wants to play a game or something? We'll take a break until we have a little more room," Halftail told them.

    Swifttail didn't waste anytime racing over and up the ladder. His kits curled around him as he laughed and nudged them for a little more privacy to spend time with his kits. Keen flew toward Bluefeather and they headed into the cockpit side by side.