Chapter 39

Shadow walked back upstairs to find The Great One. "Great One." He says walking over to his room. He knocks on the door. "Are you okay?" He asks. No response. Shadow knocked again.

The Great One woke up and looked over at the door. He growled and sat up. He quickly wiped the tears away from his eyes. He didn't want anyone to see he had been crying. Not even Shadow. The Great One never cries so he didn't want anyone to see that he did.

Shadow knocks on the door again. "Great One?" He says. The Great One looked at the door. "What is it, Shadow?" He says. His voice cracked slightly. The Great One gasps and covers his mouth. His breath came out in sharp shaky breaths. Shadow didn't hear his voice crack but he was still worried. The Great One cleared his throat. "I... Just wanted to see if you were okay." Shadow says. The Great One sighs. "I-I'm fine." He says. Shadow doesn't believe him. "Are you sure?" Shadow asked. The Great One sniffed and nodded slightly. "Yes I am." He said.
He's lying. Shadow can tell. He sighed and sat down against the door. "I'm going to stay here until you tell me what's wrong." He says. The Great One stood up and sat down against the door as well. They stayed silent for a while. Shadow was staring at the ground hoping The Great One will speak. The Great One could sense that Shadow was upset. Shadow couldn't sense The Great One's feelings but The Great One could sense Shadow's feelings. Shadow sighs. "I know something is wrong Great One." He says. The Great One looked up. "I told you I'm fine." He said. Shadow shook his head. "No, you're not." He says. The Great One growls. "Well, whatever it is, I don't want to talk about it." He says.  Shadow sighs again. "Fine." He says and stands up. He walks around the corner of the doorway leaving The Great One alone. The Great One listened for him to leave. Then he fell on his side. He stared off into space thinking about what just happened. "Oh my God Steve..." he whispers. He quickly got up and walked outside of his room after Shadow.

"Shadow!" The Great One says. Shadow froze and turned around. "What?" He says. The Great One walks over. "If you want a hint on why I'm so upset then look at this." He says. He threw something at Shadow. Shadow gasped. The Great One walked past him. Shadow turned around. "Great One!" He shouts. The Great One didn't stop. He ran off. Shadow sighs. He looks down at what The Great One threw at him. Shadow picks the item up. But then he gasps. It was the same picture The Great One saw. Shadow stares at the picture shocked. A couple seconds passed before it hit him. "Oh god..." Shadow mutters. He looks down at the ground sadly feeling bad about what happened with him and The Great One.