Chapter 35: obligations

Kisses

-

-

-

--Erica's POV--
Maddie looks at me shocked as I tell her everything the doctor told me. My hands absentmindedly touch my stomach as she gives me a sympathetic look, "What did Buck say?" She asks as she slides over a cup of tea. I put my head in my hands as I think about how awkward the drive home was. I lied and said Maddie invited me over for a girl's night just to escape the tension.

"He didn't really say much. I think he's still in shock from everything....to be honest I don't even know what to say," I tell her after thanking her for the tea.

She leans on the counter in front of me, "So, you're keeping it?" She questions.

"I know this sounds dumb but after everything that has happened in the past couple of weeks...I don't know. Maybe it's a sign that this is a good thing....a good change in my life," I tell her.

"It makes sense. They are a little miracle," she says making me smile.

"Depending on how Buck feels about the baby...I don't want to push this on him and this is a two-person decision. But if he decides that this isn't the path he wants. Please promise me we will still talk...you're kind of my best friend," I tell her suddenly feeling emotional. She grabs my hand on the table and tells me she's not going anywhere while giving me a warm smile. I wipe the tears from my eyes and laugh as she walks over to give me a hug.

"I think you should go home and talk to Buck," she whispers.

I nod my head knowing she's right and grab my purse from the chair, "Seriously, thank you, Maddie," I tell her before walking out.

-

"Buck? Are you home?" I ask as I walk into the apartment. I hear nothing in response so I slip my shoes off before shutting the door. The living room is empty as well as the bedroom. There's a small note lying on the counter as I walk in. I look at it confused as the scribbled words, "Went to Eddies," are written on the paper. I let out a sigh of relief while throwing out the paper. I turn to the fridge and take out some simple ingredients to make some baked feta pasta. I've been craving this ever since I saw it online.

I connect my phone to the speaker, immediately playing my cooking playlist. I grab a hair tie and put my hair in a messy bun after changing into comfy clothes. I slide into the kitchen risky business style. I start prepping the meal getting into a rhythm as the front door opens. I turn my head and see Buck walking in holding a bag of groceries, "I was going to make dinner," he says as he sets the bag on the counter. I smile as I hold up a small tomato he eats it out of my hand.

"You can make it tomorrow," I tell him as I bend down to put the dish in the oven. When I stand up I'm surprised as he wraps his arms around me, spinning me in his arms.

"How are you feeling?" He asks as I place my hands on his chest.

"I think talking with Maddie calmed me down," I tell him, "but we should probably talk".

He holds up his hand signaling one second as he turns around to his bag. I stand there confused as he turns around with two things in his hand, "Look at how cute tiny baby socks are," he says with a wide smile on his face. He sees the confusion on my face when he explains, "I was helping Eddie and Christopher at the store and got distracted," he tells me.

I feel my eyes tear up again as I take the small article of clothing in my hand. He looks at me worried as the tears fall down my cheeks while I laugh, "I'm sorry....I shouldn't have," he stutters. I shake my head and wrap my arms around him as I break down in his arms.

"I love you, Evan Buckley," I whisper while holding onto his shirt for dear life.

"I love you too," he says back with confusion still evident in his voice,
"Talk to me," he says as he rubs my back reassuringly.

"I didn't know if you'd want me to keep the baby or if you'd want to be involved," I tell him as I step back to look at him. He gives me an "oh" kind of look as he holds up the baby socks with a smile. I laugh as he puts them back on the counter, "This is a big decision and I don't want you to feel obligated at all," I tell him still nervous he's not thinking this through.

He grabs my hand and tells me to stop, "I've always wanted kids, and sure...it might not be the most ideal time but that's life," he says.

"But what about checkups and the expenses and room for the baby and midnight feedings and raising them and-" I ramble as he cuts me off with a kiss.

"One day at a time," he says calming me down. I nod my head right as the timer goes off and jumps making him laugh, "When do you want to tell everyone?" He asks as he pulls the dish out of the oven. The smell takes over the kitchen as he turns the oven off.

"Awww a little pregnancy announcement," I gush as he grabs plates from the cabinet, "Whenever you want," I tell him finally answering his question.

"I can plan a dinner party later this week," he says looking at my stomach, "Boy or girl?" He asks.

"I think it's too early to tell," I say with a laugh.

"No you dork, what do you think it will be?" He asks.

"I think it's a girl"

"I think it's a boy," he says.

"We are a cliche," I tell him as we sit down to eat. He nods his head and moans as he bites into his food. My nerves about the whole thing are starting to settle as we continue eating. My phone vibrates from the counter and I get up seeing its Mickey.

M: how are you feeling?

E: would you want to meet up and get coffee tomorrow?"

M: Absolutely

E: our normal place at 11?

M: thank god I did not want to wake up early

E: see you then!

This should be interesting.