Forty Eight

Too often, the only escape is sleep.

So that's what Taehyung did. He just slept the whole morning and afternoon. He didn't want to wake up and hear his husband and other family members saying things he doesn't want to listen to and definitely doesn't believe in.

It's already half past five in the evening. When Taehyung woke up an hour ago, he saw that he was alone in the room. He was thankful and worried at the same time.

Thankful, because he didn't have to face Jungkook. Worried, because what if his husband left him after deciding that he doesn't want to deal with a broken person like Taehyung himself anymore?

He kept on thinking and thinking. No, he kept on overthinking but can you blame him? Any person in his position would question everything that happened in their life. They would wonder why it happened. Why them?

Unfortunately, no one would be able to give them an answer to that.

Taehyung sighs for the umpteenth time while his best friend looks at him worriedly.

Seokjin got here almost ten minutes ago. Jungkook got in touch with him in the morning to tell him what happened. Seokjin's heart broke hearing the news because, unlike others, he has actually witnessed Taehyung go through all the shit in his life. He always questioned God why couldn't he just let his best friend have a happy life. It's not like Taehyung wanted any riches, just a happy life.

In Seokjin's opinion, it's not too much to ask for. So why is it so hard for the universe to grant him that wish?

The entire ten minutes he had been here, Taehyung didn't utter a single word to him. He couldn't say anything to the younger other than greetings either. Jungkook did warn him that Taehyung is in a state of denial and Seokjin doesn't want to end up saying anything that might come off as insensitive.

He brought seaweed soup for the younger too but he just doesn't know how to talk to the other. He has known Taehyung for a very long time but this is the first time his best friend looks so unapproachable.

"Hyung..." After a few minutes, Taehyung ends his dilemma by speaking first.

"Yes, Tae?" The older immediately replies, looking at him attentively.

He can't help but notice how lifeless his friend looks. His eyes look hollow. There are no expressions on his face and his eyes reflect absolute sadness.

"I want to say that..." Taehyung starts, his voice sounding weird to him as he hasn't spoken anything since his outburst last night.

"Yes, Taehyung-ah. What is it?" The CEO asks, his voice very soft and gentle.

"Can I t-take a break from work? If--- If I don't take care of m-myself, it will affect the b-baby." Taehyung's trembling hand is placed on his stomach and his eyes look so dead that tears immediately brim in Seokjin's eyes.

He looks away, not wanting the other to see his tears because he knows that Taehyung's pain is much greater than his.

Not really knowing if he should correct him or not, he just feebly smiles at him, "Yes and you need to eat something to stay strong during this period, Tae. Take as many days off as you need. But for now, eat something."

Seokjin tries not to touch the baby topic. He doesn't want to trigger Taehyung. Jungkook told him how the other almost had a panic attack last night when they spoke about it.

Seokjin is as sad for Jungkook as he is for Taehyung but this topic is something that the couple should discuss. He's an outsider and even if he's sad about everything that happened, his opinions will always remain that of an outsider who did not personally go through it.