Chapter 3: The Ambush

Ash, Lillie, Gladion, and Damian are now heading back to the Shade Forest, but they hear a loud roar as they hide behind a tree. It turns out that Persephone is yelling at the grunts and she says, "Just what is wrong with you guys? Ash Ketchum has escaped our base and you still can't find him anywhere?"

"We are sorry, Mistress." The grunts lower her head. Persephone says in horror and says, "We have better be quick, he is the one that gives us this base to perform ritual. If he knows that we didn't kill him, he is going to kill us instead."

The group has heard everything she says, though they are curious about who is the one that asks the group to kill Ash. Damien whispers to Lillie, "That is the Cult of Darkrai?"

"Yeah." Lillie says. "We have to be quiet."

Then they see another grunt comes and Persephone says, "What about you, grunt, found anyone?"

"No, Miss Persephone, but I saw footprints near the river." The grunt says. "Maybe he drowned while escaping."

"If that is the case, then our job is done. Let's retreat." Then they all leave except the grunt. The grunt turns to the group who are hiding, she says, "Well, you are safe now. You can come out."

Ash and the others are in their fighting pose as the girl takes off her mask, she is a black-haired girl and Ash asks, "Who are you? Why do you help us?"

"I am Emily Eve." The girl says. "And this is my partner." They see a shadow rise from hers and Ash says, "Marshadow..."

Arceus is in his mind and she says, "Yes, she is also the chosen one."

"You know, thanks to Marshadow, its ability can help me hide in the shadows so that we can't be seen. For example." Marshadow drags them into the shadow as they see some Darkrai grunts running by.

"That is so amazing..." Damien says once they get back out to the real world.

Lillie says, "If you are one of the chosen ones, then that makes sense if you know us. How about we stick together?"

Emily says, "Sure. Where are you going?"

"We are going to the Tenlor Cave so we can get a present for the Augur." Damien says.

"Present for the Augur?" Eve feels a little uncomfortable, but she shakes her head and says, "Oh, then let's go. It is on the other side of the forest, so we won't need to worry about the Darkrai Cult. I can also know you as well."

As they are from the cave, Ash asks, "So Emily, if you are from here, have you met my father before?"

"Your father? Do you mean Adam Rift Ketchum? Of course. In fact, I was his student, but he disappeared a year ago and I was on a quest to search for him, which leads me to the Cult of Darkrai. I had to disguise as a member in order to find out the truth." Emily says.

"I see." Gladion says. "Ash here was captured and saved. But we didn't find his parents anywhere."

"I am sorry to hear that..." Emily says with a frown.

"It is fine..." Ash says.

Once they enter the cave, they find the Rare Stone that is meant for the Augur. Damien says, "It really is rare, we have to find it all over the cave to find this."

"I know." Ash says, "So should we go?"

Lillie says, "We as might as well do it. Right? Emily?"

But Emily is having her ear on the wall and she quickly shushes them up. "Quiet, listen!"

The four are confused as they put their ear on the wall, they hear two voices talking.

"He will not leave Tenlor alive." Ash and his friends don't know who they are talking about, so they keep listening.