#SEVENTY THREE.

I chase him down outside as he's getting into his car. I'm already crying so heavily at this point, I could hardly even breath.

"Nick, stop! Please!" I beg him with a strained voice, as I stumble down the rocky driveway.

"No. Lili, get away from me." He says, harshly.

"You just ruined my fucking life, Nick." I cry. "You just outed us in front of everyone and I'm going to lose my job and you? Are you kidding me?! I need you right now. Please!" Tears were dropping out of my eyes like waterfalls.

"You caused that to happen, YOU!" He yells.

"Nick, it was a peck on the lips!" I try desperately for him to understand me. I was feeling overwhelmed and frantically wanted him to stop. "Why would you do that to me?!"

"Why did you do that to ME?! You clearly, like him. I know you like him, Lili. You fucking kissed him!" His voice was so loud and deep, it echoed into the dark of the night.

"I don't!" I scream. "I don't like him, I love you Nick, please don't do this! You were talking to some girl on the phone. I was mad.. it meant nothing!" My voice was exceedingly, shaky and raw with emotion.

"You know who was on the fucking phone, Lili?" He stands holding the car door open, his body straightens.

"Who?" I breath, painfully waiting the answer.

"A friend. A friend! that was going to buy a ring... for you! I was going to propose to you, but you know what.... You've shown that you will never commit to me. Never. I see that now..."

"You are fucking lying to me!" I yell.

"No. Actually, I'm really not." His voice sounded nearly dead.

"Nick..." I gasp, completely stunned and disoriented.

"I'm glad I found that out before I made a dumb decision." He shrugs at me.

"Can you take me home? We can talk about it on the drive, please?" I continue to beg. "I'm so sorry."

"No, Liliana. Find your own ride home." He says, harshly.

"I'm so drunk, Nick. I'm sorry!" I cry even heavier.

"I know you are, and I can't wait until you wake up tomorrow and realize the consequences of your actions." He replies, getting into his car.

"Nicholas!" I scream. "Stop!" As I chase his car backing down out of the driveway. Considering the fact I was very drunk and also, inherently clumsily, I face plant into the ground. Scraping up my knees and chin in the process.

He stops his car and gets out. "Liliana, what the fuck?!" He comes to my side and lifts me up so that I was a bit more stable on my hands and knees. He gently, examines my chin.

Joey and Jimmy come out of the house now and survey the scene of me on the ground and Nick holding my head in his hands.

"What the hell is going on?!" Joey yells, as he approaches and kneels by my side. "Did you push her?" He questions, in a harsh manner.

Jimmy stays back, out of the way. Mostly, because he probably had discretion, but also, out of the fear of Nick beating his ass.

"What?" Nick breaths. "Of course I fucking didn't!" He yells back at his brother.

The moment was becoming nearly, unbearable for me. I felt my heart racing so fast that I was worried it was literally, going to come out of my chest.

I look up at Nick as he still has his hands on my head. "Please, don't do this to me." I plead with him.

"You did this to yourself." He replies, coldly. Letting go of me he gets up and into his car.

I watch him as he drives away, and I burst into a straight and intense ugly cry.

*

I eventually get home from an Uber. I was completely broken inside. The entire night I sob myself to sleep, I kept periodically checking my phone to see if Nick would text me, but he didn't and at this point, I wasn't even sure I wanted him to. What I did was childish and wrong, but he did something that ruined so much more for me.

When I wake up in the morning, I realized just how drunk I was last night. I had a splitting headache and was entirely, hung over. I try to collect myself for my work duties although, I had a strong suspicion that today wasn't going to go so great.

As soon as I approach the facility, I see Shanahan before I could even make it through the door.

"My office, now." He says.

My body felt like it could practically seep down into the field and become one with the dirt.

I had extremely, labored breathing as I follow him into his office. Once inside, I see Nick sitting in one of the two chairs in front of Shanahan's desk.

My body tingled as I took the seat next to him. He wouldn't even look at me, like I was literally invisible to him. As if I didn't even matter to him anymore.

"So, here's the deal." Shanahan says, as he sits in front of us. "Liliana, you're fired." He bluntly, puts it out into the open, just like he was ripping off a band-aid.

"Okay." I turn to look at Nick. "I assume he told you." I wanted to scream and hit him so hard, but I already had a feeling this was coming and I try to get control of my emotions.

"That's irrelevant to me at this point." He answers back.

"—And what about him? What does he get, a slap on the wrist?" I ask, angrily.

"He gets fined." Shanahan says.

"How much?"

"$10,000." Kyle answers.

I snort. "Yep, a slap on the wrist. They get fined more for just saying the F word on the field, but he can just come into my life and fuck it all up and gets paid zero conquense? Alright, cool." I stand up and stare at Nick, even though, he wouldn't even look at me. "I hope you're fucking satisfied, you fucking asshole." I say, brutally.

"Hey, I don't want to hear it. Get out." Shanahan replies, pointing me towards the door. "—And take whatever things you have with you. I left a box on your desk."

"Consider me fucking gone!" I yell, opening the door and slamming it closed behind me.

As I walk to my office to collect whatever it was I had in there my body was fuming. I was so angry, I couldn't even cry.

I never wanted to see any of these people ever again.

Song for this chapter: Tate McRae & Ali Gatie- Lie to me (Lyrics)

🏈