EXpectations

"Where are we going again?" Rhea asks, hand out the window and boots on the dash.
"Only the best food truck in the city," you're salivating just thinking about it, "I go every chance I get. We should get extra, too; they're still amazing as leftovers."
"That good?" Rhea's eyes peek at you over sunglasses - even though they're yours, you swear they've never looked as good on you as they do on her.
"You'll see for yourself," you assure her, "especially when we take the new bong for a real spin later and you start getting the munchies. That's another reason we're getting extra."
"Oh, was that last hit not real enough?" Rhea teased, "You want less lip contact and more smok-?"
"No!" you blurt out, feeling your face get warm at your own lack of restraint, "I mean, that's, um, not- not what I-" The food truck becomes visible not a moment too late.
"There it is!" you interrupt yourself, pointing.

After parking and making your way over to the truck, you're greeting the vendors as Rhea scans the menu.
"Here for the usual?" the woman closest to the cash register asks, recognizing you.
"That and whatever she wants," you gesture to Rhea.
"Ahhh, I gotcha," the woman says looking at the two of you and winking. Before you can even react to the implication, Rhea is placing her order. You pay after the woman rings up the total and take the receipt, walking over to a nearby bench to sit and wait for your number to be called.

"Oh no," your anxiety begins to skyrocket the second you lay eyes on your ex-girlfriend walking out of a car nearby. The two of you had a bad break-up, and while you knew it was best that the relationship had ended, it would be wrong to say you were completely over it. Even worse was that another woman was getting out of the car with her. She was gorgeous, they were laughing and walking toward the food truck, and you had become extremely insecure.
"Hey," Rhea's voice floats to you through the cloud of anxiety, "what's wrong?"
"My ex is coming this way, with her girlfriend, I think," you tried to take steady breaths, "I didn't expect to see her, I only took her here like once-"

The calming weight of Rhea's arm around your shoulders stopped your train of thought. "Don't worry; I'm good arm-candy," she whispered into your ear, giving you goosebumps.
While the girl your ex is with starts to order, your ex seems to finally notice you. The moment she does, Rhea starts talking to you almost too loudly, "Oh my god, BABE, last night was SOOO good!" - she plants several small kisses on your neck, making you giggle - "And this MORNING was even better" - she gives your neck a playful bite, making you squeal - "I'm so lucky." Turning to glance at your ex, you nearly burst out laughing at just how uncomfortable she looks. Hearing your number called, you turn to Rhea, "That's us!"

Once you grab the to-go bags, Rhea takes one from you and holds your free hand all the way to the where you parked. The minute you're both in the car, you turn to her excitedly, "Did you see her face?"
"Bet she's feeling awful," Rhea smirks, "That girl she's with is definitely a down-grade." You blush as she takes the other to-go bag from you, rummaging through for napkins and her order. It wasn't until your eyes met when she looked up, about to take a bite of food, that you realized you were staring, remembering how it felt to have her lips on you.
"Let's go get baked before you eat all the munchies," you joke, smiling even as you flinch away from Rhea's gentle elbowing.