close to you.

Author's note: just a lil holiday one shot. Enjoy!

Wrapping up practice, Jordan showered and started to  collect his things from his locker. He pauses at a picture of Simone and himself. His best friend for over a decade. The wide smiles on their faces as she gripped his neck. He was sure he looked sadder than normal right about now.

"Yo, Baker. You good?" He feels a slap on his shoulder.

"Yeah man, I'm okay."  He smiles weakly at his teammate. He turns to close his locker all the way.

"Are you sure? You catching a flight home for Thanksgiving?"  Patrick inquired.

"Nah. It's going to be a solo Thanksgiving this year."  Which he didn't mind , maybe he needed to spend it alone.

"What? You are always welcome at my table."

"Thank you but I am good. I'll be fine. It's not a big deal." Jordan appreciates the gesture, slipping his thumb between his backpack strap.

"Are you positive? We have plenty of-"

"Yes. It's not the first time. I'm good. Don't worry about me."

"Let me know if you change your mind." Patrick dapped him up.

"For sure, thank you." Jordan felt like he was the last one left as he was about to head out.

His coach's voice calling him back stops him from heading to the door. Jordan walks backwards and leans against the door frame of his Coach's office.

"What's up Coach?"

"Good practice out there today. Your dad would be proud like always." Coach Boone acknowledges.

"Um yeah... I had a lot of time on my hands to get some work in so thanks." Jordan doesn't look at him.

"Are you spending time with family this year at least?"

"Nah. My sister and brother in law live on the West Coast. My mom is visiting my sick grandmother so it's just me this year, Coach." He shrugged.

The vortex had stopped being friends their sophomore year of college. Once Patience died, they took in the reality of what was always true. Outside of his flesh and blood, Spencer and Simone well.. he really didn't have a relationship with the rest of them anymore. He was sure it died as soon as high school graduation hit. However he was positive that nobody wanted anything to change at that time. They didn't want to say goodbye to friendships that they thought they were deeply invested in.

They all went their separate ways and for the first time, the twins were each on their own. Jordan attending a local NYC college putting their football team on the map and Olivia deciding to transfer to an HBCU in Atlanta to be closer to Simone. It was something he never thought she would do. He remembered their countless conversations about the change and in Olivia's words - She needed to explore something new and be a college student.

He was elated that Simone was that person for her. She was what Olivia needed at that time. She had helped him through so much during their time of knowing each other that he wasn't surprised that Simone did the same for Olivia. His coach looked at him with the same sad eyes his teammate just gave him. He sighs and plasters on a smile.

"I'll be fine, Coach. Thanksgiving isn't what it's all cracked up to be anyway." He says.

"Baker..."

"I gotta go. Have a good holiday." Jordan stops him before he gives some big speech about family. He wishes him well and turns to leave out the facility. He doesn't go home straight away. He drives around with no set destination burning gas in his Mercedes and listening to lo-fi music to clear his head.