CHAPTER - 44

Arun's POV:

Three days passed. My health was out of danger and I was transferred to the normal ward. It was morning. Amma was with me for the whole night and she left for home in the early morning to prepare food and to send Vijay to school. For the past three days I was using urinals and bedpans for bowel movement. But I no longer wanted to use all those. I thought about getting down from the bed to go to the restroom on my own and tried to get down with a lot of struggle.

"Arun... What are you doing?" I heard Diya's yelling voice when she entered the room.

"I... am going to the bathroom....sorry in your language, restroom." I giggled though I had physical pain.

She rolled her eyes. "You were using bedpans na?" She asked.

"Hmm.. But it feels awkward and I feel sorry for the nurses who disposes it, too. Let me try to walk. I hope, I can," I said confidently and tried to stand up but failed. I couldn't stand up on my own with pain and I was about to fall down. But Diya ran to me and held me, saving me from falling down and made me sit down on the bed again.

"Why are you straining yourself Arun? What if I didn't come now? You would have fallen down." She pouted.

"I don't want to disturb others. I hate using bedpans," I squealed.

"I can understand you. But you should give time to your body to heal na?" She said softly.

"Yes Diya, but I don't want to disturb others. Do you know how painful it was to see the nurses who helped me in bed bath and who disposed the bedpans? I feel so helpless and disabled. I want to do it on my own as soon as possible. Otherwise my guilt will increase. Now I am able to sit up na. That's why I thought to try walking too." I pouted.

"Okay, wait, I will call my papa and let me ask whether you can try walking with assistance" She said and dialled Appa. She spoke with Appa and disconnected the call.

"Arun, Papa told you to try walking. I will assist you. But tell me, if you feel uncomfortable or any pain," She said, wrapping my left arm around her shoulder, and helped me to get up. I was really happy when I was able to stand up at least with assistance and I wondered about the physically challenged people. I couldn't go through the life with a mere temporary disability. But physically challenged people are strongly facing the challenges everyday, I thought and my respect for them increased in my heart.

"Arun, slowly move your leg and try to step forward," Diya said, interrupting my thoughts.

I came out of my thoughts and stepped forward. But it was painful when I moved my right leg. Still, I didn't give up. I desperately wanted to get well soon. I took a step forward with pain in my leg, but with a smile on my face. When I took two steps forward, I gained confidence that I can go through the pain and I will be alright soon.

She led me slowly to the restroom and came out. I used the restroom and called her again. She again came in and led me to the bed.

She made me sit down on the bed again and said,"Okay, Now... I brought breakfast. Have your breakfast and medicines."

"How Diya? Appa told me not to move my right hand for two weeks. Amma only fed me for the past three days na. Let her come and feed me," I said.

"Oh.. If I feed you, won't the food get digested for you?" She asked playfully.

"Means, You are going to feed me?" I asked excitedly and literally flew in the air.

She smiled with a glare on seeing my excitement and asked, raising her eyebrows, "Oh, The sweet Monkey is happy because I am going to feed him, it seems."