Chapter 30: Shanks & Grievers

The next morning I was sitting alone at the table drinking my coffee and contemplating life, life in the Glade, life in the maze. I'm not sure what's going to happen. We had known there was no way out for a while now. We kept it quiet. The others didn't need to know. Minho, me and Alby were the only ones who knew there was no escape. The runners also knew, I'm sure they did, we just never told them.

I woke up in a good mood, even though my fears and my past came slamming back hard. Minho was so sweet about it last night.
We still fell asleep snuggled together, and he kept reminding me that just because we haven't crossed that line yet doesn't invalidate our relationship. He kept reminding me he was in this for more than the physical stuff. It was just bonus.

I was staring off into nothingness, but my senses were always on and I heard footsteps.

"Don't even try it Baby Shank." I warned.

"Dang! Jessie how'd you know it was me?"

"'Cause I know everything. And you brought the shucken Greenie!"

"You got some crazy skills." Chuck plunked down beside me. And the Greenie sat across for us. I narrowed my eyes. This guy stared without shame. It was annoying.

"Would you cut that klunk out? I'm not an animal in the zoo." I snapped.

"Where'd you go last night?"

"Away from you."

"But where?"

"Off..." I waved my hand.

He frowned, and pulled his eyebrows together. He was looking at me as if I was a puzzle.

"I heard stories about you." He challenged.

"They're probably not true."

"Really?"

"I'm much worse."

Chuck was sniggering beside me. I gave the Greenie a twisted smile. And picked up my coffee and took a sip. The Greenie looked so confused and frustrated.

"So...what's out there?" He asked, looking past me and to the walls.

"Nothing you need to concern yourself about."

"But you know!"

"If course I do. Better then anyone."

"But you won't tell me?" He huffed.

"You know the answer already."

He threw his hands into the air. This greenie was going to be a handful. I watched him for a moment. His eyes flicked all over the places, like he was trying to figure out how the maze worked from the picnic table. He was curious, and wasn't happy with the answers like everyone else. He didn't accept the answers, always challenging the answers.

"So...." He finally shook his head and looked back at me.

I rolled my eyes. This Greenie was going to be the death of me. He was trying to make small talk.

"Some crazy skills ya got Jess!" Chuck grinned, "I doubt anyone will try anything on you!"

"Have the idiots left you alone?'

"Yeah. Since you kicked the crap out of those builders... I mean Dug is still...Dug..."

"Yeah he's on my hit list." I growled, "but your good? No nightmares anymore?"

Chuck shook his head, making the curls bounce. I nodded in satisfaction. I turned back to my coffee and the Greenie was staring at me again.

"What is your shucken problem?"