Chapter 40: Stalked

Minho and I flung the Map room door open and we left. We jogged across the Glade to the doors that were just rumbling open.

The maze halls were cool and quiet. The only sound was the slap of our footsteps and the sound of us breathing. We didn't need to speak to run together. We took each turn smoothly and in sync. I glanced beside me, Minho ran straight and sure. His muscled arms pumping back and forth, his breathing rhythmic and steady.

My mind wandered back to my first few weeks. I couldn't believe how different I was. I'm still angry, violent vulgar and standoffish. But I had let people into the darkest parts of me, I had opened myself up and become vulnerable; something I had never thought possible. Especially with the boy beside me. He was relentless, beating the gates to my stronghold until it was crumbled in ruins dust and ash.

He showed me it was okay to trust. He showed me that sometimes you can't do it all on your own. It was absolutely terrifying, my insides still twisted when I thought about how much he knew. But I had cut myself wide open exposed the dark black mess and monster that hid inside and he didn't back away. Instead he walked closer, ready to embrace the angry monster.

I had a sudden uneasy feeling. My skin broke out in goosebumps and I felt a sudden chill. I turned my head and looked over my shoulder. Nothing was there. It was a straight hall and no where for anything to hide. I hadn't seen a beetle blade in a while. I frowned as I looked back straight ahead.

"Hey...Jess?"

I blinked and shook my head I looked around. Minho kept glancing at me, an amused smile on his face.

"Huh? What?"

He chuckled.

"I asked...if you want...a water...break." he asked between his slightly labored breathing.

I nodded and we slowed to a brisk walk. Pulling water out we kept walking.

"Notice anything?" He asked.

I shook my head, "Nah...it's all the same."

I kept that creepy crawling feeling to myself. It was probably just my over stressed suspicious mind.

He frowned. I could see the strained look on his face, but he didn't say anything. I could see the hope dwindling. We took another turn. He kept walking, I slowed down just slightly, and looked around.

"Section seven." I announced.

The giant red painted 7 on the big stone wall was the same as it had been. Looking like it had stood for centuries, the paint peeling and worn down. Vines on each side, moss covering the stone. The shiny piece of metal.

"Wait! Minho!" I yelped.

"What?" He asked turning around so fast he stumbled.

"That wasn't there last time I ran seven!"

I ran over to the wall with the painted number. It was a shiny piece of metal. Words stamped into it.

World in Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department

"What- and I can't stress this enough- the actual shuck?" Minho marvelled as he came over to the little metal sign.

"Okay, so I'm not crazy? You see the sign too?"

"Well...you are crazy, Babe. But yeah, I see the sign too."

I swatted his arm, but we were both too shocked by the sudden appearance of the sign to bicker.

I reached out a hand, the metal was cool, the letters stamped into it were rough.

"World in Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department...what the hell does that mean?" Minho asked.