Chapter 49: Buggen' Order!

I sat at the table in front of the circle of Keepers beside Thomas and Minho. The rest of the Gladers all crowded in around the keepers at the back. It was tight in the room and hot, which didn't help the smell. I wrinkled my nose, at the guys, how come only a few of them showered? Newt came strolling into the room, his hands shoved into his pockets. He looked grim, and frustrated already. He stopped beside a pole that supported the roof, and leaned on it. Newt had taken Alby's spot, temporarily as Leader, leaving the second in command chair empty. Seeing as it was a council meeting to discuses the three of us, Minho's chair also stood empty. 

Minho sat on my one side, leaning his chair backwards, his arms locked behind his head, making his biceps stand out. I had my feet propped up on the table, sipping on some hot tea Frypan made for my throat, which still burnt by the way, the bruising finally was at its worst, black and blue hand print. My leg was still heavily bandaged, but it felt much better. The infection was gone. Thomas sat nervously on my other side. His knee kept bouncing, and he kept chewing his thumb nail. 

"Dude slim it. What are they gonna do, banish you? We already survived a night." I swatted his hand away from his mouth. 

"But-"

"Dude! Seriously, if I say no, they'll listen." 

He gave me a skeptical look, but stayed quiet, his leg still bouncing. Newt cleared his throat, "In place of our leader, sick in bed, I declare this gathering bloody started or something like that" he said, with a subtle roll of his eyes as if he hated anything regarding formality. "As you all know, the last few days have been bloody crazy, and quite a bit seems centered around our Greenbean, Tommy, seated before us, and our One and Onl' gal."

Gally stood up, and puffed his chest up.

"This is gunna be good." Minho muttered. 

I snorted and tried hard to keep my laughter inside, but to no avail. I was still kind of tipsy from drinking whatever alcohol Clint gave while they did some crazy cowboy surgery.  I was curious what he was going to say, he was all about rules, but we seemed to have an understanding with each other, mutual respect. I know he didn't trust Thomas, but his memories weren't solid concrete evidence either. Gally turned to look at the Keepers and the Gladers behind him. 

Newt said, "Lets try to keep some buggin' order, here. If you're gonna blabber your shuck mouth every time I say something, you can go ahead and bloody leave." Gally sat down heavily, glaring at Newt and Thomas. 

"Oh. We can leave? That's an option?" I grinned, I took my feet off the table and went to get up. Minho reached out and grabbed hold of my waist and pulled me back down, I ended up sitting on his lap.

"Why hello handsome." I smirked. 

Newt went on to scold us, "If you two" he pointed at Minho and myself, "can't keep yourselves together, you will be kicked out! 'Cause I'm not in a very cheerful mood." 

"I already volunteered myself out! Why bother kicking me out when I wanna leave!" 

Newt pinched the bridge of his nose and exhaled.

"Jessie, slim it and sit down."

I rolled my eyes and got up off Minho's lap and dropped dramatically into my own seat again, but I leaned over to Minho, "Don't piss off Mama Newt, MinMin! He's already in a bad mood!" I whispered loudly, making Minho snort harder. Thomas smacked my shoulder, but I saw he was also trying hard not to laugh as well. 

Newt rolled his eyes and chose to ignore us. 

Gally stood back up and started his speech. "Things are changing. No doubt about that! First we get  a random girl who shows up INSIDE the maze, claiming she's from another maze! Grievers coming out during the day... Ben is stung in broad Daylight and now Alby! And now this Greenie here thinks he can just run into the maze!" He turned and threw an finger in Thomas's direction.