Chapter 37: You da Boss

I sat on the picnic table while Minho held a cloth to my bleeding head. I kept smacking his hands away, but he moved my hands away every time with a growled and narrowed eyes.

"For fuck sake, Jess! Would you let me take care of you!"

"I'm not dying. And it doesn't hurt. I'm fine!" I snapped back.

"I don't care. Just slim it woman! My badass girlfriend just ninjaed for her life and the shucken Greenie...can you just let me help!"

I made a protest, and only after I caught Winston's folded arms and a pointed look on his face, did I finally sit still with a huff and eye roll. Minho nodded in satisfaction and he cleaned me up.

Newt rolled his eyes as we bickered, but also had a small smile as he cleaned up the bite mark in Thomas's arm.

"-but...I don't get it. What did he mean I'm bad?" Thomas asked again.

"Shank was jacked. Who knows." Minho shrugged.

"The changing gives you memories ya shuck face. Memories from before all this. Maybe he saw you. Maybe he saw someone who looked like you. Maybe it's just jacked. Don't take what he says too seriously." I shrugged.

I frowned a bit, remembering what Gally said about seeing the Greenie in his memories. It couldn't be a coincidence. Minho caught my frown.

"What is it?"

"Nothing." I said quickly.

He raised an eyebrow.

"Later." I said under my breath. He just hummed.

"But ... he also said I was bad! And you were too!" Thomas said.

"Yeah...and again Greenie. Dude was pumped full of poison that brings back the shucken memories the people in charge erased. So who the shuck knows what the shank was talking about!"

Thomas was chewing his bottom lip and his eyebrows were pulled together.

I rolled my eyes, "I can't with this guy. He just can't accept an answer!" I huffed. I flinched when Minho pulled the gauze away to see how the bleeding was.

"Tommy." Newt said gently, "Ben wasn't thinkin' straight. You can't take what he says seriously."

Alby walked up, his face was set and it was somber, his body slouched slightly like the weight of the world was on his shoulders.

"We need a gathering."

Chuck came sprinting as fast as his little legs could take him. He skidded to a stop, he was huffing and puffing. He leaned over, his hands on his knees.

"Alby!" He managed to huff.

"What?" He barked.

Chuck was sucking air hard. He held up a finger for a second. Everyone was waiting for him to catch his breath. He finally stood up.

"He's not dead!"

"What?" I asked.

"Ben!" Chuck said, he looked at me with fear in his eyes. "He's not dead! The arrow missed his brain or something! Baggers went to move him, and he's still shucken alive! Jeff and Clint are with him!"

"Dammit!" We all cursed.

Alby turned and took off. I smacked Minho's hand away and took off after Alby. Minho, Newt and Winston were right behind me.

We crowded around the slammer door. I could hear Ben's wild screaming. Jeff, Clint and two baggers were inside. A few minutes later the door opened and Jeff and Clint and the baggers came out looking quite harassed.