Chapter 50: Decision are Made

The council room was silent. Every eye was on Thomas now. He stood up and crossed his arms.

"Can I defend myself now? Thanks." before anyone could stop him he started talking, his tone was harsh and snappy. I felt kind of proud of it, like my snark and bad attitude rubbed off on him last night.

"Look! I didn't do anything wrong. All I know is I saw people struggling to get inside these walls and they couldn't make it. To ignore that because of some stupid rule seemed selfish, cowardly, and..."

He paused and frowned, waving his hand around trying to find the right word.

"...well, just stupid. If you want to throw me in jail for trying to save someone's life, then go ahead." He looked Gally dead in the eyes and continued, but he had some attitude and sass behind his next sentence. "Next time, I promise I'll point at them and laugh, then go eat some supper." Thomas finished, with a dramatic eye roll and flopped back into his chair, folding his arms.

"I'm so proud of that sarcasm." I pretended to wipe a tear.

Thomas just grunted, a frustrated growl on his face.

"Well, I think Shank's got more guts than I've fired up from every pig and cow in the last year." Frypan paused, as if expecting a laugh, but none came, he sighed and threw his flour coated hands into the air. "And Jessie? We all know she's a tough cookie, she does her job well, keeps to herself, sure fights off stupid shanks when they get too comfortable with her, but she's followed all the rules... ain't her fault she's here. How stupid is this- he helps save Alby's life, helps kill a couple of Grievers, and we're sitting here yappin' about what to do with him. And what about the other two? Why are they up there like its a disciplinary hearing? As Chuck would say, this is a pile of klunk."

I smiled fondly at Fry. He always had a way of making situations feel not so bad, he had a carefree laid back kind of attitude. He smiled back at me.

"What's your recommendation Fry?" Newt sighed, waving his hand as if he could speed this up.

"Put 'em both on the council and have them train us on what they did different out there!"

There was an uproar from the Gladers behind. And some of the Keepers were arguing with each other.

I leaned towards Thomas and whispered, "Man you and me got em real rattled. What else can we do to fuck shit up?"

Thomas tried to hold back a laugh.

"SLIM IT YOU SLINT HEADS!" Newt screamed. The room slowly settled down, tempers were high, the tension in the room higher. "Shut your holes and you will be asked your opinion in buggen' turn!" He pointed to the next Keeper, the keeper of the baggers.

"I think he should be punished. No offense," he shrugged at Thomas, "but Newt, you're the one always harping about order. If we don't punish him, we'll set a bad example. He broke our Number One Rule. But after that make him a runner. And as far as Jessie? She didn't break a rule, she's a runner. Sure she's a chick, and a little unorthodox, she can kick all our asses and take down a Griever. Why punish that? Like Minho said...she's better than most of us!" he shrugged.

"At least someone has a brain." I muttered.

"Easy for you to say, your not getting punished." Thomas muttered back.

"Meh one night in the slammer, it's not that bad. I did it."

Minho leaned over, "she did not. She broke out half way through the night and slept the rest of the night in bed."

"True. I did do that." I nodded with a cheeky smile.

Newt pointed to Gally. Gally stood up his chest heaving slightly, his face was red. He was looking straight ahead, and not at anyone. He was silent for a moment.