Chapter 43: Forgiveness

I sprang from my huddled position on the bedroom floor. Panic flashed through me. Newt and Winston swiveled around, all three of us started at the door. A scream ripped through the Homestead again. I flinched, and shoved between the guys, flung the door wide open and sprinted down the hall. I ripped Winston's bedroom door open.

I saw Jessie wrestling on the ground with Frypan. Who looked absolutely bewildered and terrified at the same time. Jessie's eyes were glazed over. Another night terror. Before I stopped to think or wait, I dove forwards tackling her off. Rolling with her wrapped in my arms, we slammed into the bed frame. She screamed and fought, struggling to free herself. I held her tighter.

"No! Stop! Don't hurt him!" She screamed.

"Jessie, shhh. It's okay. I'm here. I'm here."

She wiggled and fought, slamming her head back, it didn't do much her head just hit my chest. "Please don't take him! Please! I'm sorry!"

I didn't know what else to do but sing. It always worked before, so I held her tight, my muscles straining, and I sang the song in a whisper into her hair.

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow. A bed of grass, a soft green pillow. Lay down your head, and close your eyes. And when they open, the sun will rise."

Her terrified screaming became indistinguishable yelling and crying. Her thrashing became a febal struggle. She was still breathing hard I felt tears running down her face, and into my hands, which held hers tight to her chest.

"Here it's safe, and here it's warm.
Here the daisies guard you from every harm. Here your dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you."

"Please... don't leave me alone!" She sobbed.

"I'm right here Jess. I'm right here! You're okay. You're safe."

The tension in her body drained, all the fight left her, just her heart wrenching sobs were left. I held her tight to my chest, and sang the next verse in the little lullaby.

"Deep in the meadow, hidden far away.
A cloak of green, a moon beam ray. Forget your woes, and let your troubles lay. And when again it's morning, they'll wash away."

My voice felt thick and it was hard to keep it from wavering. I squeezed my eyelids shut. Trying to keep my own tears from falling. How could I have said what I did? You shucken screwed up shank. I loosened my grip just slightly, she had enough room to squirm. She rolled so she was facing me. She kept her arms tight to her chest, but she pressed her tear streaked face into my chest.

"Here it's safe, and here it's warm.
Here the daisies guard you from every harm. Here your dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you."

We still lay on the ground, I held while her body shook and shuddered. I could feel fresh blood leaking out of the cut on her back. Frypan was standing pressed against the wall, eyes wide. Newt was trying to reassure him Winstone came and crouched.

"What do you need from us?" He asked.

"Clean bandages." I answered, "I'll take her back to our room. Fry looks like he's about done."

Winston glanced over his shoulder. Then back at me and nodded.

"Give me 3 minutes."

I nodded. Keeping one hand tightly around Jessie, I slowly sat up, keeping her pressed into my chest. Once we were up I picked her up and got to my feet. She was either asleep again or just exhausted and had nothing left to protest, she let me carry her back down the hall and into our room. I gently laid her down on her. Winston came back with fresh medical supplies. He left them on the dresser by the bed and left, closing the door.