Chapter 57: A Living Nightmare

⚠️ Trigger Warning - attempted Suiside⚠️

Teresa and I slowly made our way back through the trees to the edge of the forest, the Glade seemed awfully quiet. I looked around, something wasn't right. I had a gut feeling something was wrong. Teresa tensed up beside me. I glanced at her, and she gave me a side eye. We both had matching frowns.

That's when I heard the first shout. Teresa and I whipped around at the sound.

"What's going on?" I asked

"No idea!" She answered, her big blue eyes wide. "No one could find you. So we were gonna split up, uh the little guy..curly hair-"

"Chuck?"

"Yeah. Chuck. Chuck came running. He said Jeff told him to go get Thomas. Alby was awake and wanted to see him. Newt, Thomas and Minho went to go see him. Winston and Chuck and I came to find you."

"Alby's awake?"

"That's what Chuck said." She shrugged.

There was another cry. I turned again, this time I saw a grey cloud of smoke. Frowning I cocked my head. Then my mouth dropped open and a cry left my mouth.

"That's the map room!"

I took off at a sprint. Teresa right behind me. It didn't take long to see the huge cloud of smoke and the crowd of Gladers. I skidded to a stop, and pushed through the guys.

"Jason!" I cried, grabbing the boy, "what the actual fuck?"

"I don't know!" He cried.

Smoke and flames were billowing out of the room through the door.

"Is anyone inside?"

"I don't know."

Growling in frustration I grabbed his shoulders, making him look at me. "Grab some guys and strat bringing water buckets!"

He nodded and took off, grabbing some of the other guys. I grabbed another guy by the front of the shirt, his huge terrified eyes snapped to mine.

"Go find Newt and Minho." I demanded. "Now!" I gave the kid a shiver towards the Homestead.

Turning back to the Map room and fire I growled in frustration. Before I could stop and think I ran head long into the flames. Pulling my shirt up over my mouth and nose I tried to look around. Teresa had followed at my heels. I nodded once at her and we started to look around. Tried to see if anyone was inside.

The smoke was thick and made my eyes water and my throat burn. I started coughing, it was hard to breathe. It was so hot inside I was covered in sweat almost instantly. The fire was coming from the trunks full of maps. They had been piled on top of the big wood table and doused in some kind of oil. The flames wouldn't be this big or this hot otherwise.

"Fucken dammit!" I screamed. Which just caused me to inhale a huge breath of smoke, which made me cough.

"There's no one here!" I heard Teresa yell.

I turned to see her bent over, hands on her knees, coughing wildly, smoke and fire swirled around us. I stumbled over, my eyes burning and watering, making everything hard to see.

"You're sure?"

She nodded. I grabbed her arm and pulled her with me towards the door. We stumbled out into the open just as Jason came back carrying buckets of water. Frypan Winston and a bunch of others right behind him. It took them a few trips to get the fire under control. In that time Newt and Minho showed up. Minho took one look at the map room and he sunk to his knees, a look of horror on his face.