Chapter 66: The Plan

They were coming. The Designers were letting Grievers in.

"Everything is going to change..." Teresa's breathy voice whimpered.

Before I could say anything there was an inhuman scream from deep in the maze. Chaos broke out. Gladers started yelling, and everyone was moving, but nothing was happening, no one was going anywhere. It was panicked chaos. I needed their attention... I jumped up onto the picnic table, lifted my fingers to my mouth and let a loud sharp whistle out.

"SLIM IT! LISTEN UP!"

The Gladers froze. At least someone was taking charge. I looked around at the terrified faces. I narrowed my eyes and glared at them all. Gally had sunk back down to his knees, head lowered and unmoving. No one else had experience in this. No one else knew what to do. They all seemed to look to me for answers. I growled.

How did I end up leading these idiots?

"We have an hour, maybe two before those Grievers make it inside the walls. We need to do everything we can to be ready."

No one moved, every eye was on me and it was silent. Everyone was waiting instructions.

"Baby Shank! Where are you man?"

"Here!" Squeaked a voice, Chuck came elbowing his way to the front but stayed away from Gally.

"Good. Chuck, go to the council hall, take the rest of the sloppers and start barricading everything. Dug you idiot, you go too.
Builders, take extra boards scraps anything that'll burn, like it at the entrance of the South doors. And once you're done go help nail up any holes there, reinforce anything you can in the council hall." The ones I named rushed off.

"It won't work. They are coming." Gally whispered again. "Each night until we're all dead...they are coming..."

"Phil...I dunno what to do with this guy, how'd he get out?" I pointed at Gally. Phil shrugged.

"Well Gally, your on your own right now. Either pitch in and help or get lost. I don't got time for your phsyco right now."

He just stayed on his knees and shivered. I shook my head and looked to the next guys and gave instructions.

"Fry, Zart. I need you to find all the cooking oil and grease you can. Bring it to the South doors." Fry nodded and grabbed a few Track Hoes and rushed off into the kitchen.

I turned to my Medjacks. "Jeff. Clint. Make sure you're ready, can you pack some first aid bags? Hand them out to The Keepers."

"Everyone else, find a place to help and go!"

There seemed to be some slight confusion from the ones left. I growled.

"Move you idiots!" When I yelled they all jumped and scurried off.

"Minho, Newt, Thomas, Tess, Winnie, Jason. I need to talk to you!" I jumped off the table and they circled up.

"We need as many weapons as we can carry, we need to arm as many Gladers as we can. I'm sure they can handle a knife or spear. I hope. I've never seen most of these guys with anything more than a shovel or fork...but...it's what I got to work with.  Protect the Council hall. That'll be ground zero, base camp..."

Winston took off with Newt and Alby and went to The Blood house for the butcher knives. I grabbed Teresa's arm and pulled her away from the guys.

"You and me and heading this one."

She nodded. "I want out. I don't want to go back. I'm not going back. I'd rather die then go back to Him."

"Agreed."