Correcting a lifetime of rumours

Adelaide and her friends were whispering to each other during their Transfiguration lesson while waiting for Professor McGonagall to arrive. Hogwarts had been tense since Filch's cat was petrified, and Adelaide noticed that some students were looking at her warily, which reminded her of her second-year experience the first time around. However, she was pleasantly surprised that most of the student body didn't believe the rumours and had expressed their belief in her innocence on multiple occasions. She knew her pack was aware of such looks and had grown even more protective and affectionate than before, which she didn't think was entirely possible but wasn't proven wrong when she found her brother and cousin arguing with a group of older Ravenclaws and would have escalated to a physical altercation if not for a professor intervening.

The chatter of the students came to a sudden halt as Professor McGonagall walked into the room. Her pursed lips were a clear indication of her frustration, which made most of the students wary of her temper. She walked to the front of the class and swished her wand, causing each desk to hold two animals assigned to each student.

"Today, we will be turning animals into water goblets. Like so-" She tapped the bird's head three times and said "Vera verto" and they watched as the bird transfigured into a beautiful crystal water goblet.

"Now, who would like to go first...Mr Weasley?" Ron nodded nervously and cleared his throat before calling out the incantation, tapping the toad on its head three times. It slowly turned into a water goblet, though not as beautiful as the professor's but good enough to receive ten points. "Why don't you all try, and remember to speak clearly"

The noise in the room picked up ever so slightly as each student attempted to transfigure their animal, and Minerva McGonagall was delighted to see that the majority of the students were able to do so after a few tries. She observed Adelaide and her friends, noticing the close but rather odd relationship they had with the young lady and reminded herself to discuss it with the other professors to ask their opinion on the matter.

McGonagall let out a sigh as she noticed a particular student not participating in the lesson, and instead was glaring rather viciously towards a certain group.

"Miss Granger, why aren't you doing your work?" Hermione jumped at the call of her name and her eyes widened at the sight of the stern professor glaring down at her disapprovingly.

"I-I was wondering if you could tell us about the chamber of secrets?" A hush falls over the class, the students either looking at the professor in curiosity or shooting the Gryffindor a frustrated look.

"My subject is Transfiguration, Miss Granger"

"Yes, professor. But there seems to be very little written about the Chamber of Secrets. For those of us with a personal interest in the subject, that is... disturbing" The muggle-borns in the lesson nodded in agreement but only slightly as they weren't thrilled with being seen agreeing with the insufferable know-it-all.

McGonagall regards Hermione with a chilly look, making her shrink back slightly but after a few moments of consideration, Minerva nods her head with a sigh.

"Very well-" The professor spends the next ten minutes explaining the information she knew about the founders and the rumours of the chamber.

"According to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the chamber of secrets. Shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the chamber and unleash the horror within, and by doing so, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic"

"Muggleborns!" Hermione gasped dramatically, making most of the students, including Adelaide, roll their eyes.

Adelaide raised her hand, gaining the attention of the students and the professor. McGonagall raised an eyebrow and nodded towards her, indicating she was free to speak.