25

Something about being back home on my old swing feels so freeing.

The sensation of the late night breeze hitting me as my legs pump back in forth to get me swinging so high.

It's like every problem that was on my mind escapes, and i can't hear my thoughts over the blasting music in my ears.

Now i remember why i would go on my swing every night.

Philadelphia.

I'd be lying if i said i missed it. From out here i can see Lacy's old house since we were neighbors for all of middle school. Now we share a house in New York City.

As much as i want to forget it, i still remember being on FaceTime with dean every night on this swing. I wish i could just erase those memories, but as i lower the volume of the music and start slowing down my pace on the swing, middle school just comes flooding back.

——
"How was your football game? Sorry i couldn't make it, today was Presleys birthday."

"It was great, we won for the third time in a row." Deans electric smile appears on the screen.

I'll never be tired of this feeling, being on my swing and face timing him every night, seeing his smile radiate warmth inside of me regardless of the chilled weather.

He sits on the other end, fiddling with his pendant necklace.

I still remember when he lost the pendant outside in the schoolyard and i found it for him. It was seventh grade. I brought it to him while he was playing football with his friends, he was so happy i found it that he hugged me. He lost it that same recess and i found it again for him the next day, i'd do anything to make him happy. At that point i had the biggest crush on him, but we never spoke.

Come eighth grade the sparks flew i guess, i overcame my shyness and talked to him more often, at that point it was easier to speak since we sat next to each other in almost every class.

I vividly remember the history and science room, it was a small school so we only bounced between three classrooms. But every time we were in that classroom, it was my favorite. Me and dean sat next to each other and we would talk all the time, i'm surprised the teacher never separated us. Eventually we became closer and closer and now we were here, calling every night.

——

My thoughts were interrupted by the outside lights flashing.

That was my parents way of telling me it was time to come inside, I mean it was already 9:30 at night, the sun sets very early in the winter and it's been dark for a long time now. I'm surprised i've been out here for this long.

I hop off the swing and head towards the door, finding it hard to walk since my legs were pretty numb, it was the day after christmas anyway.

Christmas doesn't feel as magical the older you get, but i still had a good day.

Lucas called me that day, and he showed me the lightsaber his sister Makenzie gave him. Apparently he's a massive star wars fan. I don't like star wars but if he does i guess i have to deal with that red flag.

He'd be so offended if he found out i called that a red flag, but he gets offended a lot yet i can tell it never actually hurts him. He seems like a person who doesn't take things to heart often. Me on the other hand, i only take negativity to heart if it comes from someone i care about. I have just the right amount of confidence.

As i walk into my old room full of fangirling items, i take off my bundles of warm clothing off and put on pajamas.

I still have that shirt lucas let me borrow when i went to his house overnight, so i'm wearing that out of comfort along with christmas pants and fuzzy socks.

I miss Lucas.

I pick up my phone and send him a goodnight text, because it's part of my routine.

We haven't spoken today on FaceTime at all, but we do text each other everyday.

I miss his voice but he is also back home with his three sisters and his mom. He's the second oldest and the only boy in the house.

I don't dare ask him about his father because he's only ever brought up his mother and sisters.

He texts back now, i quickly check his notification with a special text tone so i know it's him.

Lucas🥰: goodnight, sleep well 💩❤️

Lucas🥰: wait that's not the right emoji

Lucas🥰: i meant this 😴❤️

I text back a laughing emoji and catch myself blushing.

I ignore the feeling and crawl under the covers of my old bed, because the quicker today ends the faster tomorrow comes. And the faster tomorrow is here the closer i am to seeing him again.