Ch59: Goodbye

NARRATOR'S POV

It takes a moment for a person to break. And only one second to realize that they hurt someone.

It costs them their happiness to know that they hurt someone they loved.

But once it happens, there's no going back. There's no way something broken can be mended. And there's no way that the pain caused by someone can be undone.

Not only had Chandralekha lied to Vikram about the letters but also was responsible for him getting hurt in the first place. It had happened just how Raghunath had predicted. Someone she loved dearly was hurt because of her and nothing hurt her more, finding out that she hurt someone she loved desperately.

Knowing that she hurt someone she loved, was a dread to her.

And there was nothing more dreadful as hurting Vikram. That night, leaving Vikram forever, tears never stopped from her eyes. She knew what she was doing was going to be unforgiving and she hoped Vikram would never forgive her for abandoning him.

That's right.

She was a cheat. An escapist. Someone who ran away from dangers.

She wanted that image to develop. For everyone to hate her so that nobody that loved her would be hurt. They should blame her for all the right reasons because it was all because of her that Vikram was in this state right now.

The image of him bloody and unconscious hit her again and again.

The image was impossible to get rid of. How he fell in her arms, his eyes turning lifeless almost too quickly and his breaths turning softer with every second. She wanted him to hate her. Because she was responsible for his situation. It was her fault.

And even if she was hated for it, she didn't mind.

Knowingly, she left the Udaigarh palace, nothing but her phone with her.

She drove all night to get away from the love of her life. She wanted him to wake up as soon as possible and for her to be far away from his life by that time. If only, her heart believed what her mind was telling her. Because it was heart wrenching for her to grip onto that steering wheel, almost wanting to go back to the place where she had found love and family.

By the time she reached Delhi, it was already morning.

Still having a spare key to the main door, she entered her 'old' home and rushed to her room, should anyone would've heard her enter. The tears fell without a break. Her eyes swollen, puffed from all the crying, her shirt wet from the tears, she pulled her suitcase out.

She threw everything and anything she could find there in her suitcase. But life wouldn't even let her easily abandon everything.

To her misery, her mother woke up that very second when she was getting down the stairs.

Stopping in her tracks, Asmita Singh looked at her daughter, crying and holding her suitcase.

"Chanda? What are you doing here?"

She looked at the suitcase in her hand, and then back at her.

"Where are you going?"

"That's none of your business."

Chandralekha rushed down the stairs, about to turn towards the door when Asmita grabbed her arm, pulling her back as she called out for husband.

"Ashok! Ashok! Look what she's doing!"

"Ma! Leave me! Let me go!!"

Ashok came running out, unable to process what was happening. Chandralekha fidgeted under her grip, trying to free herself from her mother's grasps.