The season of proposals

Eve's POV

I have been summoned to Mr. Brown's cabin the minute I set foot in my office. I understand it's an urgent meeting and I'm equally enthused to ascertain what is this all about but it would have been nice if they have given me few minutes to grab a coffee. No coffee ritual today, I guess.

I took a deep breath and made haste to Mr. Brown's office. I knocked and opened the door of Mr. Brown's cabin ajar before I enter. I peeped inside to have a quick glimpse of who else were also invited to this meeting. I had to make sure I wasn't the last one to present but to my surprise the room was empty except for the middle-aged grey-haired man pacing the length of the giant table located in front of him. Mr. Brown seemed a bit ... confounded? Edgy? I don't know but something is oddly off about his appearance today. Or is it me? whatever, I acknowledged my presence by clearing my throat before wishing him good morning.

Mr. Brown stopped his pacing and quickly turned and chuckled awkwardly motioning me to enter.

"Good morning, Eva. How is your health now. It's so good to have you back in the office, you know what I mean" he rasped and left me to wonder even more.

What? No, I don't know what you mean. This is not him. Nope.

"Aaaah good. It's good to be back" I inconveniently spoke. Chuckling. This is an awkward start. Well, because our conversations mostly start with either he giving me deadlines or works that nobody dares to touch, expediently making it impossible for me to have a choice. Or me challenging him to dare push my patience. This is completely out of our comfort zone. Because my intuition already throwing crumbs of possible outcomes this may lead to. Is he going to fire me? because I had to take a few days of long leave due to the accident. But then again, I thought I would just let him spill before assuming any conclusions. So, asked.

"I thought you said it's an important meeting. Where is everybody? Are they late or am I too early?" I began.

"Yes, it is an important meeting but it's just us two." There was a visible shift in his behaviour, yes, Mr. Brown is a decent human but he never behaved like this with me before, like too gentle. Our relationship is more like rivals and our conversations happen as if so, my team always mocks me by saying I boss him around more than he does to me. If he is the boss to this company then I'm his boss. It's true, He challenges me, he pushes me to do better, he encourages my boldness but never treated me gentle like I'm a sensitive girl who needs to tender. He's being too calm and neutral makes something in my gut... apprehensive.

"Oh Okay. What is it about? Am I in trouble?" I faltered but it's better to face what's coming than to pretend everything is going to be okay.

He tittered and continued "No no, you are not in trouble. In fact, I called for this meeting so that I could discuss about a crucial proposal about the company." A proposal? About the company. Then why does he have to discuss with me, this is his own damn company, he has every right to decide whatever the hell he wants to. And he never bothered to discuss his plans with me when it's about the company. Why now? Before I could object, he continued "with you". A proposal with me?

"With me?" I raised my brows in question. He remained neutral. I couldn't make out the meaning of this with his body language. "Mr. Brown, not helping. If you have something to tell me, just tell me, be it anything. If it's about the company then you have nothing to worry about. I'll do anything in my power for this company, for you. You have been always an important person in my life and trusted my potential since I have started my career here, you have been there for me in my hardest battles and darkest days, you are like a father figure to me. So, I owe pretty much a lot to you. I respect you enough that even if you have decided to fire me... it's okay. You don't have to worry I won't question you. just tell me what it is. Anyhow, this awkward kindness doesn't suit you." I ended with a genuine smile. Whatever I just told him is true and I won't hold grudges if he really fires me right away.