surprises

Eve's POV

After the doctors had ruled me unfit to work at an under-construction site until the cracked bone in my arm sets and I heal from mental stress, I'm staying home from sunrise to sundown. Glad that my team still needs me for vital decisions otherwise Id be completely house arrested. They'd video call me sometimes for quick orders or pays me a visit for a brainstorming session. They're utilising my absence fruitfully; in fact, I'm impressed how well they have led the project so far except for a few glitches here and there. Still glad they were able to fix in time.

*******************************

" I'm sorry I couldn't visit earlier Eva, I had an art exhibition of my paintings, small section compared to others who had participated there but I had been working so hard to get a spot in there. I hope you understand " Mel pressed a soft hand on mine. Mel is a passionate woman; I love how fervently she is pursuing her dream profession rather than just settle in the shadow of her father to be the next to replace his fathers position. Not just Mel but almost everyone in Anthony and his friend group are in line to becoming the most sought-after business heirs. Only some of them like Mel are dared to pursue something outside their destined professions.

She reminds me of myself a few years back when I was struggling to find my respectable position in the society, where I could hold up my head high and create my own trade mark. Eva Scott: A young avantgarde Interior Designer, famous for unique and off-the chart designs.

It hadnt been easy to reach where I am today, I had faced every kind of obstacle and hurdles in these 7 years of journey since I had started paving my path to here. Start the ball rolling from leaving my native town, almost died in the hands of a narcist, fell and rose to become someone whom even my own eyes couldnt recognize. My own mother was against the profession I chose but that was another story. Very common if you ask me in every family.

" Don't stress it. But I'd have loved to have your company. I was bored sick" I blew a raspberry. She laughed displaying a small dent at the edge of her mouth.

"Show me your paintings from the show" I enthusiastically pulled her down next to me. I was excited to know every detail of the exhibition and her work. She opened her laptop and took me to a nickel tour of first ever public display of her art.

she's a modern art enthusiast and a professional artist. I've had an intro of her work last time when I visited her place. She's got an awe-inspiring talent. I too paint sometimes for fun but after seeing her work I felt embarrassed and I'm glad I never got to show her my paintings.

We'd spent a half day gossiping and catching up with our lives, eventually I told her about Justin Heath. She was stunned to hear at first but subsequently she loosens up as if this was something shed expected.

" Well it's not entirely shocking but I'd never imagined he'd bounce back just to satisfy his ego that had dented a long ago" she scoffed.

" But don't worry. Youve got Anthony. If it was Frey then you should be worried. Anthony got a whole different kind of ways to tackle people like Justin" a sarcastic smirk ghosted her face.

"What do you mean ' different kind '?"

I was baffled by the way she described Anthony. Because to the extent that I know he's NOT aggressive. He's an adorable, nice and kind gentleman.

" Anthony handles things differently Eva" she flashed a mysterious smile at me. Suddenly I felt the air around me hotter and ominous.

She reached to the centre table and grabbed the popcorn bowl, popped a few in her small cute mouth.

"Youre scaring me Mel" since I couldn't decipher her cryptic illustration of Anthony, which I swear by being unknown of. I might as well hint how it impacts on me.

" You don't know? " A shade of scepticism crossed her face. " Anthony is sure a nice guy, there's no doubt about that but if someone crosses a line they are not supposed to or if threatened, he'd..... a suspicious pause, those shiny green lids of her sliding to the corners like she was searching for a right word. Teach them a lesson they'll never forget." Her face glowed with a satisfactory bliss. Theres a cunning brightness behind her smile. She's messing with my mind. Does the Wanda Maximoff from Avengers have a twin? The atmosphere around me drifting into void. I am no longer confident if I know who he was. If I know him at all. I dont want to hear a word against him. I cant change anything if it was true but no. he is NOT a bad person. My gut tells me, my intuition tells me, my heart tells me. I may not have known him for a long time but for the longest time I had spent, every day every moment I knew who he was. What kind of a man he is. My Anthony.

"Teaches them a lesson? How? " I had to know. I wouldn't trust if she says he is capable of physically hurting someone or at least hurting anyone in any way

" Mmm how can I explain it to you" her lips curled inside. She rolled her eyes once again in search of an apt word. Which can probably destroy my heart.

Please Don't say it. Please Don't say it.

I prayed on every star that she doesn't say things like, he hits them with a truck or he kidnaps and tortures them kind of stuff.

"Okay when we were in college there was this guy, Dan. Some people bully others just for attention or they feel they are above everyone else but this guy, he was a monster. He used to bully everyone. But when we got in to senior year, he had his eyes on a girl named, Alisha. He kind of showed interest on her but she rejected. So he took it upon his ego and started to bully her in front of everyone.. There wasn't a single day he didn't hurt her. Everyone has had enough of that moron. some of us had stood up for her but still he'd continued to harass her. Everyone tried but Anthony finished it" proud glinting in her eyes.

"What did he do?"

" Anthony never confronted Dan but eventually he grew out of his patience, we all were. He had enough of Dans monstrosity. So, he hacked into Dans phone, mail and social media and etcetera. He had found a disgusting video of him jerking in front of his dog in weird costume and couple of other shit he had recorded of himself" she wheezingly laughed about a few minutes before she continued again. " Posted it in Dan's social media accounts IN the middle of lunch break. Everyone saw and shared it before he could save his dignity. The bully became a clown of shame. Bearing in mind of the incident Dan skipped college for couple of days and when he had returned, hed almost obscured behind his hoodie. Never saw him spoke a word against Alisha or anyone else" I was too stunned to speak at the moment, I didnt know how to react.

A faint giggle and gibberish words sounds ricocheted from the outside of the living room. We both snapped our heads at each other, matching confusion furrowed on her expression as mine. I bet we both reflected same energy at the moment. Not so long before the suspicion grew, a familiar silhouette entered. It was Anthony. I looked outside to see wondering if weve spent an entire day on the couch. Because theres no way Anthony comes home this early.

Hey love hes bright smile already lifted my soul. Instantly I forgot whatever Mel have been talking about at the glance at him.

Hi.. is everything okay? I stuttered at the unexpected yet pleasant visit.

You have visitors he brushed my cheek before he shifted to my side and turned to the entrance.