INTO THE DARKNESS

Part 3: Into the Darkness

A week had passed since the initial meeting, and the collaboration between BEM and Singhal Industries was progressing smoothly. Kanishka and Darsh had several productive discussions, and both teams were working tirelessly to integrate the new AI technology into BEM's event planning processes.

One evening, after a particularly long day of meetings, Kanishka and Darsh found themselves waiting for the elevator in BEM's headquarters. The office was nearly empty, with only a few late-working employees still at their desks.

As the elevator doors opened, Kanishka stepped inside, followed by Darsh. The elevator began its descent, the gentle hum of machinery filling the silence. They were both lost in their thoughts, reflecting on the day's progress, when suddenly, the lights flickered and went out. The elevator jerked to a halt, plunging them into complete darkness.

Kanishka's heart began to race. Her chest tightened, and she could feel the familiar grip of fear closing in. She had suffered from nyctophobia since childhood, a fear of the dark that she had never been able to conquer. Her breathing became shallow and rapid, and she started to panic.

"Kanishka, are you okay?" Darsh's voice cut through the darkness, calm and steady.

"I... I can't... I can't breathe," she gasped, her voice trembling.

Darsh moved closer, reaching out to find her in the darkness. He gently took her hand, his touch reassuring. "It's okay, Kanishka. I'm right here. Just focus on my voice."

Kanishka tried to steady her breathing, but the overwhelming darkness was suffocating. She felt tears welling up in her eyes, and her fear threatened to consume her.

"Listen to me," Darsh said softly. "Take deep breaths. In and out. Just like this." He exaggerated his breathing, making sure she could hear the rhythm.

She focused on his voice, trying to match his breathing. Slowly, her panic began to subside, but she was still shaking. Darsh tightened his grip on her hand, offering silent support.

"You're doing great, Kanishka. Just keep breathing. We'll be out of here soon," he reassured her, his tone gentle and calming.

Minutes felt like hours, but eventually, the emergency lights flickered on, casting a dim glow in the elevator. Kanishka's grip on Darsh's hand loosened slightly as the immediate threat of darkness receded.

Darsh looked at her, concern etched on his face. "Are you okay?"

Kanishka nodded, wiping away a tear. "I'm sorry. I have this fear of the dark... It's something I've struggled with for years."

Darsh squeezed her hand gently. "You don't have to apologize. We all have our fears. I'm just glad I was here with you."

Kanishka felt a surge of gratitude and something more-a connection that went beyond business. "Thank you, Darsh. I don't know what I would have done without you."

Just then, the elevator jolted and resumed its descent. A few moments later, the doors opened to the lobby, and they stepped out into the light. Kanishka took a deep breath, feeling the cool air wash over her.

As they walked out of the building, Darsh turned to her. "Would you like me to drive you home? After what just happened, I think you could use some company."

Kanishka hesitated for a moment, then nodded. "I'd appreciate that, Darsh. Thank you."

---

The car ride was quiet, but it wasn't uncomfortable. There was a newfound sense of understanding between them. Kanishka stared out the window, the city lights blurring past. She felt a strange mix of vulnerability and safety, knowing that Darsh had seen her at her most fearful and hadn't judged her for it.

When they arrived at her apartment building, Darsh walked her to the door. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to call," he said, his eyes sincere.

Kanishka smiled. "I will. Thank you again, Darsh. For everything."

As she entered her apartment, Kanishka couldn't help but feel that this night had changed something between them. There was a spark, a budding connection that was more than just professional.

Darsh watched her go, his thoughts a whirlwind. He had seen a different side of Kanishka tonight-vulnerable, yet incredibly strong. And he couldn't deny the growing feelings he had for her.

---

End of Part 3