MORNING AFTER

Part 44: Morning After

The first light of dawn seeped through the cracks of the heavy curtains, casting a soft glow across the room. Kanishka stirred, her head throbbing from the remnants of last night's alcohol. As she blinked her eyes open, the unfamiliar surroundings quickly became recognizable. She was in Darsh's room.

Panic set in as she realized the warmth beside her was not just a dream. She turned her head slowly, dreading what she might see. Darsh lay there, peacefully asleep, his arm draped casually across her waist. She glanced down and saw that they were both naked. A wave of shock and guilt washed over her, and she quickly slid out of bed, clutching the sheet around her body.

Kanishka's mind raced. How could this have happened? She tried to piece together the fragments of last night. The drinks, the laughter, the fleeting touches. But it was all so hazy. She felt a knot form in her stomach, a mix of guilt and confusion. This wasn't supposed to happen. There were no feelings between them, just a forced proximity due to circumstances. She couldn't believe they had let it go this far.

Darsh stirred and opened his eyes, a slow smile spreading across his face as he saw her. "Morning," he said, his voice still husky from sleep.

Kanishka's heart raced faster. "Morning," she replied tersely, clutching the sheet tighter.

Darsh sat up, stretching leisurely. "Last night was... unexpected," he said with a grin. "But I can't say I'm disappointed."

Kanishka felt a surge of anger. "This shouldn't have happened," she snapped. "We were drunk. There were no real emotions behind it."

Darsh raised an eyebrow. "Speak for yourself," he said, leaning closer. "I think there's something here, Kanishka. You just don't want to admit it."

"Admit what?" she shot back, her anger rising. "That this was a mistake? That we were stupid and reckless?"

Darsh chuckled. "Or that maybe, just maybe, there's something more between us than you're willing to see."

Kanishka shook her head, trying to suppress the confusion and frustration bubbling inside her. "This was just a one-time thing, Darsh. It doesn't mean anything."

"Doesn't it?" he asked, his eyes locking onto hers. "Maybe it means more than you're willing to admit."

Kanishka turned away, unable to face the intensity of his gaze. "I need to get dressed," she muttered, gathering her clothes from the floor.

Darsh watched her, a sly smile playing on his lips. "You know, you look cute when you're angry," he teased.

Kanishka shot him a glare. "This isn't funny, Darsh."

He held up his hands in mock surrender. "Alright, alright. But you can't deny there's something between us. Even if you don't want to see it."

Kanishka didn't reply. She hurriedly dressed and left the room, needing space to think and process what had happened. Her mind was a whirlwind of emotions. She couldn't let herself fall for Darsh. Not after everything that had happened. But the way he had looked at her, the way he had touched her—it was hard to ignore.

As she left, Darsh watched her go, a thoughtful expression on his face. He knew she was scared, confused. But he also knew that there was something real between them. And he wasn't going to let her push him away so easily.

Kanishka retreated to her room, her mind racing. She needed to clear her head, to figure out how to deal with this new complication. But one thing was certain—things between her and Darsh had just become a lot more complicated.