Part 76: A Confession in Anger

Ayan stumbled into his house late at night, reeking of alcohol and barely able to walk straight. Aarushi, unaware of his state, met him at the door with a concerned expression.

“Ayan, you’re late. Where have you been?” she asked, trying to keep her voice steady.

Ayan slurred his words, clearly drunk. “Out… had a few drinks with some friends.”

Aarushi's worry quickly turned to anger. “Ayan, we need to talk. Somya came by earlier, looking for you. Is there something going on between you two? Are you having an affair?”

Ayan’s eyes widened, and he staggered slightly, trying to focus. “What? Somya? Affair? No, it’s not like that.”

Aarushi crossed her arms, her anger and frustration evident. “Then why was she so desperate to talk to you? What’s going on, Ayan? I deserve to know the truth.”

Ayan, irritated and still drunk, snapped back, “Why are you asking all this? You have no right! You don’t love me, anyway.”

Aarushi’s eyes filled with tears of anger and hurt. She stepped closer to Ayan, her voice trembling. “You think I don’t love you? You have no idea how wrong you are. I’ve loved you from the day we got married. I love you so much, Ayan. But I kept quiet because I knew you were in love with Kanishka. I know how it feels to love someone who doesn’t love you back.”

Ayan stared at Aarushi, stunned by her confession. He could see the pain and sincerity in her eyes, and it made him sober up a bit. He hadn’t expected this at all.

“Aarushi… I didn’t know,” Ayan mumbled, his voice softer now.

Aarushi wiped her tears, trying to compose herself. “Of course, you didn’t. You were too busy chasing after someone who didn’t want you. I never wanted to get in the way of your happiness, Ayan. But seeing you now, with all this secrecy and confusion, it’s tearing me apart.”

Ayan took a shaky breath, his mind reeling from both the alcohol and Aarushi’s words. “I’m sorry, Aarushi. I didn’t realize…”

Aarushi shook her head, cutting him off. “I don’t want your apologies, Ayan. I want you to understand that I’ve been here all along, loving you, waiting for you to see me. But you were so blinded by your obsession with Kanishka that you never noticed.”

Ayan looked at her, feeling a mixture of guilt and regret. He reached out to touch her hand, but Aarushi pulled away, not ready to forgive him just yet.

“I need some time, Ayan,” she said, her voice breaking. “I need to figure out what to do next.”

With that, Aarushi turned and walked away, leaving Ayan standing alone in the hallway, his mind in turmoil. He had never considered Aarushi’s feelings, and now, he realized how much he had hurt her. The weight of his actions and his misguided love for Kanishka pressed heavily on him as he stood there, trying to make sense of everything.