THE ILLUSION OF HAPPINESS

Part 38: The Illusion of Happiness

The sun was just beginning to set when Darsh and Kanishka received the news. Darsh's parents were returning from London and would be arriving any minute. The anticipation in the air was palpable, but for Kanishka, it was another layer of the facade she had to maintain.

She stood in front of the mirror, adjusting her saree and trying to compose herself. Darsh walked in, his expression neutral but his eyes showing a flicker of unease.

"They'll be here soon," Darsh said, his voice lacking the usual confidence.

Kanishka nodded, not meeting his gaze. "I know. We have to act... happy."

Darsh sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Yes, we do. My parents... they think we're madly in love. We need to keep up the appearance."

Kanishka turned to face him, her eyes hardening. "This is your doing, Darsh. Remember that."

Darsh clenched his jaw but said nothing. The tension between them was thick, but they had no choice but to play their parts.

The doorbell rang, breaking the silence. Darsh's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Singhal, had arrived. Darsh took a deep breath and forced a smile onto his face as he opened the door.

"Mom, Dad! Welcome back!" Darsh greeted them warmly, hugging his mother and shaking his father's hand.

Mrs. Singhal beamed, her eyes sparkling with joy. "Oh, Darsh! It's so good to see you. And Kanishka, my dear!" She pulled Kanishka into a tight embrace. "Welcome to the family."

Kanishka smiled politely, the effort not quite reaching her eyes. "Thank you, Aunty."

"Call me Mom," Mrs. Singhal insisted, her smile never wavering.

Mr. Singhal clapped Darsh on the back. "We were thrilled when we heard the news. It’s wonderful to see our son finally settling down with someone he loves."

Darsh forced another smile. "Yes, we're very happy."

Kanishka nodded, her smile strained. "Very happy."

As they moved into the living room, the charade continued. Darsh's parents settled onto the sofa, looking around the room with approval.

"You've done a lovely job with the place," Mrs. Singhal said, admiring the decor. "It's clear you both put a lot of love into making this a home."

Kanishka glanced at Darsh, who gave a small, tight-lipped smile. "Yes, we did."

Mrs. Singhal looked at Kanishka with maternal affection. "Tell us, Kanishka, how did you and Darsh meet? Was it love at first sight?"

Kanishka hesitated, searching for the right words. "We... met at a business event. We were both representing our companies, and we started talking. It... it just happened from there."

Darsh jumped in, his voice smooth. "Yes, we quickly realized we had a lot in common. One thing led to another, and here we are."

Mr. Singhal laughed heartily. "That's the way it should be. When you know, you know."

Kanishka forced a laugh, feeling the weight of the lies. "Exactly."

The evening wore on with more questions and stories. Darsh's parents were genuinely happy, and their joy was infectious, but for Kanishka and Darsh, it was a reminder of the deceit they were living.

After dinner, as they sat in the living room sipping tea, Mrs. Singhal reached out and took Kanishka's hand. "We're so happy to have you as part of our family, dear. We know you'll make Darsh very happy."

Kanishka's eyes welled up with tears, but she blinked them away, forcing a smile. "Thank you... Mom."

Darsh's eyes softened for a moment as he watched Kanishka, a flicker of something almost like guilt crossing his face. But he quickly masked it, turning to his father. "So, how was London?"

Mr. Singhal launched into a detailed account of their trip, and the conversation shifted. But the unspoken tension between Kanishka and Darsh remained, a silent undercurrent beneath the surface.

Later that night, after Darsh's parents had retired to their room, Kanishka stood by the window, staring out into the darkness. Darsh approached her, his expression unreadable.

"They're happy," he said quietly.

Kanishka didn't turn to face him. "Yes, they are."

Darsh sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm sorry you have to go through this."

Kanishka finally looked at him, her eyes hard. "This is your fault, Darsh. You created this mess. Now we both have to live with it."

Darsh looked away, unable to meet her gaze. "I know."

For a moment, they stood in silence, the weight of their situation pressing down on them. Finally, Kanishka spoke, her voice barely above a whisper. "We need to keep up the act. For them."

Darsh nodded, his expression resigned. "Yes. For them."

As they turned to go to their separate rooms, the facade remained. To the outside world, they were a happy couple. But behind closed doors, the reality was far different. And as they faced the days ahead, the strain of maintaining the illusion would only grow heavier.

But for now, they would continue the act, for the sake of Darsh's parents and the facade of a perfect marriage. And somewhere, beneath the layers of deception, both of them wondered how long they could keep it up before the cracks began to show.