NO!

'Ma! What are you talking about...!' I was shell shocked.

But she was staring at New angrily.

'Your dad gave his life still couldn't protect his friend. With his last breath he asked me to protect Tay. I did my best for two years but when my health deteriorated I was forced to send you and him away with Mrs Jones. When the time came I asked you to protect him. But here you are standing in front of me while Tay is injured. Why he went to Rangong? Why didn't you stop him? What if that family did something harmful to him? Answer me!'

New was standing like a statue.

'Who the hell is shouting.......Jalita!'

Aunty came inside and stopped in her track after seeing ma.

'Rungta I am sorry....Tay is injured..New couldn't protect...'

'Don't blame my son. He has done his best! What more do you want from him? Huh? Are you upset because he didn't die? Tay is important and he is not? You are wrong! They are both equally important to me. I am not biased like you. From the very beginning I was against your plan. I knew their life was in danger because Vasu got the news about that orphanage and Mrs Jones already confessed but still I didn't want to drag a thirteen year old boy in this mess. But you didn't listen to me and went directly to meet him in the orphanage.'

My whole body was getting numb. Ma and New! Mother and son!

The pregnant lady! Friend's wife! That was ma! But what about Pa?

What the hell is this!

And they were in contact this whole time...! No! Not possible.....New knew nothing when he was in the orphanage.

That's when I remember.....our conversation that night.......when we were in the orphanage.....two thirteen years old boys..... huddled together in one tiny bed......

'Today something strange happened at school.'

'When? I was with you all this time.'

'Um....at lunch break....when you went to fetch some water....'

'What happened?'

'A woman came to the lunchroom and asked my name.'

'What? Who?'

'I don't know.'

'You don't know her?'

'Uh ha. I don't remember meeting her anywhere.'

'Then what happened?'

'She asked for my name and address.'

'Please tell me you didn't give her any information.'

'I...did.'

'New! Are you crazy! Why did you give her that!'

'I.... it's not something that important right? I mean she could get this info about me from anyone..'

'Then what happened?'

'After hearing that she left hurriedly.'

'You are really an idiot!'

'Do you think.....'

'Why would you....'

'Tay.....do you think.....she is a police person?'