Chapter 111

Instead of practicing my aim, over the next few days, I would train with the wooden bow that was too big for me, just practicing my stance and positioning. Every time the arrow released, it fell short of the target, but it was landing in the same relatively consistent area, which was a good sign.

Isaac and Lionel took turns everyday trying to teach me after they fought with each other over who the better archer was. Currently, it was Isaac's turn, while Lionel stood not far from us angrily destroying a straw dummy with his sword.

"It looks like you're getting a lot better," Isaac said. "But you keep having this one issue. You're letting the string go suddenly instead of letting it slide through your fingers naturally."

He took my bow to demonstrate to me.

"If you let the string slide through," he started explaining, "The arrow flies forward evenly, and it doesn't change in direction as easily."

Isaac allowed the string through his fingers, just as he had explained, and pierced the center of the target.

"However, instead of letting the string slide forward, you're just letting go suddenly."

He demonstrated again, this time copying my movements. Instead of hitting the center, the arrow struck the side of the target.

I nodded along to his lesson, and took the bow back when he handed it to me. In my next attempt, I tried using his method, pulling my hand back slightly and allowing the string to move forward with its own force.

"Yeah!" Isaac said excitedly, "That's way better!"

"Nice!" I held up my hand for a high five, and he stared at my hand.

"What are you doing?" he said.

I quickly lowered my hand, saying, "Uhh... nothing. Forget that, it's fine."

"Ok, well, it's probably going to take you a long time to get your movements super repetitive. That's pretty much all archery is about. Just holding the same position, making the same movements over and over so that you can hit the same spot on the target every time."

"How long is a long time?" I wondered.

Isaac shrugged, guessing, "Probably a few years. Especially since you're going to keep growing for a while. I'm not sure how your change in height will affect your skill."