Chapter 50

Evelyn smiled as she stepped out of the car. She looked down at herself. Metallic dress with black stilettos, borrowed from Nicki's closet, the both of them. She gave the valet boy her keys and nodded him away. The Saturday night breeze blew on her and she grimaced. She had forgotten a shawl or coat. She was just in such a rush, she completely forgot. And it's not like her to forget.

This was Evelyn.

      Even when she was born she had always been calm and obedient. Never crying as much as babies did. Once or twice upon entering the world, because it wasn't warm or she wanted comfort, she wasn't that type of baby.

     As a toddler, following every rule and never getting in trouble. Coming home with A's just by coloring neatly and in precise color and never coming out of the lines. In elementary though, she didn't make as much friends as her parents wanted, but she found comfort with herself. Teachers thought she was anti-social, but it was just Evelyn never connected with others.

      Not until she met her best friend, Flora, in 4th grade. They met when she came over with flowers by Evelyn, who was reading a Jane Eyre book. She came with a scarf around her head and pale, like ivory, skinny as paper. She sat next to her and gave her a flower. Evelyn, confused, took the flower.. She studied the girl and turned towards her and introduced herself to the girl nevertheless. No one had ever came to her, asking to be friends. Maybe that's all that needed to happen cause she was shy. And now here was Flora doing the thing she needed someone to do. She smiled. Their friendship sparked from then on and the infatuation.

      They had been best friends from 4th grade to 8th. Inseparable, you couldn't pull them apart.

They always had sleepovers by each other. Always staying up past their bedtime, telling each other stories, real or fake secrets. They had so many secrets between each other. One sleepover before their 8th year, Evelyn was not herself and told her that her aunt died in a robbery and she was devastated. Upon hearing this, Flora tried to comfort her, yet didn't how though, therefore she told a secret that her mom told her not to tell no one. But this was best friend, she had to tell her. She said that she was sick from when she was born.

Evelyn nodded and told her one day she was going to be alright and healthy. Evelyn then said the secret to being attracted to her and she was scared about how Flora would react. She had been hiding this from everyone, especially her and yet Flora looked at her and smiled and leaned to her and gave her a kiss. She pulled away and told her she felt the very same way.

Their friendship changed from then.

Entering 8th grade, they walked in holding hands, the thirteen year olds smiling, ready to conquer the school year. They basically had the same classes together, did sports together and all activities. Their relationship was so innocent and yet seen by other, boys, they thought two girls together were disgusting and told everyone. By this happening, Evelyn punched one boy in his nose and threatened to the others that they would get the same. Flora watching, fluttered her eyes and she fainted on the floor, head first. Evelyn looked back and saw her girlfriend on the ground and ran to her. Flora was unconscious and Evelyn was yelling for help.

Days later, after Evelyn couldn't see her best friend to her parents, but girlfriend to her. She rushed in the hospital room and gazed at her, sleeping in the bed. She gasped at the sight.

Flora had lots of her blonde hair missing, she was almost bald. She was paler than ever and looked very weak. Her mom told her that she couldn't wake her cause she was very tired and needed lots of rest. That night Evelyn found out what was wrong with her just by searching what Flora looked like on her computer.