Chapter 4: Travels

Hiccups pov

Me and Toothless have been traveling for over a month now, after leaving the Barbaric Archipelago, we stayed in a land called Londinium.

It's unexpectedly part of the Roman Empire, I remember Gobber telling me that Rome was vast and its territory stretching to the edge of the world. I even heard of their armies, that they're the the finest fighting force in the world, thankfully Rome hasn't invaded Berk in my time living there, yet who knows. First time for everything perhaps.

We've layed low here because I'm not sure if dragons are killed here, so I hid Toothless outside the city and used the coin I had to buy food, fish for Toothless, clothes and medical supplies. The weather here is very rainy, so I took a mental note to collect the rain for our drinking water.

After three days in Londinium, we kept moving, exploring new land, introduced to new foods, culture and seeing dragons I've never seen before, this was incredible, I drew the dragons I saw in my sketchbook, and took notes of their behavior and what they eat. And yet despite all this freedom I had, despite the new opportunities I had to forge myself into something of worth...

Deep down though, I missed home.

I missed Berk.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts of that damned place, the people there tethered me to a lifetime of pain, rejection and humiliation. All because I was different.

My own father among them.

And he's the one who was supposed to protect me above all, he was the one who was supposed to teach me how to become strong, but instead he stood idle just told me to suck up the pain. Those who hurt me, deserved to be slaughtered, all except Gobber and Astrid of course.

It was starting to get dark, so me and Toothless decided to take shelter in a cave, there was fresh drinking water here to keep ourselves hydrated.

As we settled in to be lost in our dreams, my mind kept me awake, the promise of adventure, change, and me being a stronger person made me ambitious.
As the days went by, it felt like we've travel to the edge of this world. We traveled ocean, mountain, forest, snow, and now nothing but an ocean of sand.

Me and Toothless have been saving as much supplies as we can, but it's too risky trying to act tough in an environment neither one of us have no knowledge of. We've been going at it for almost three weeks, and no signs of civilization as far as the eye could see.
Great.

As we continued on, I started remembering my mother. It's ironic, I hardly remember her, and yet I remember her as a child. She's lean in muscle, has auburn hair like me, and was very loving and gentle. I miss her very much, if she survived that raid when I was nothing than a few winters old, than my life on Berk wouldn't have been so miserable.

I know dad would love to have her back too, my mother was my fathers heart, and to see a dragon rip her from his life, haunted the man.
It started getting dark, and the temperature dropped as well, and it was freezing.
Me and Toothless had to huddle up closely to keep each other warm.

Eventually we retired under a boulder to gather sleep, my whole body ached from carrying supplies, to relieve Toothless the burden of holding our load.

As the night carried on, Toothless was fast asleep, yet as my eyes began to close, I prayed to Odin, asking him to guide me and Toothless out of this wasteland.