Chapter 34: Reunion

Hiccups pov

Amam and I have been riding our dragons with a caravan for almost a week now, Amam recently bonded with Sand prowler which looks like a more ancient version of a monstrous nightmare, yet it's skin absorbs the heat from the sun to light itself on fire. Our caravan had finally reached its destination, the caravan began clamoring and Amam had his mouth slightly open. "So Amam, how does it look?" I chuckle at his disbelieving look. "Home looks more beautiful than I could've ever imagined." He said in awe.

Our eyes rested on the Egyptian capital of Cairo and all its glory. Rameses had invited Darius to attend at annual events here, but Darius respectfully declined because he had to nurture his people and empire to get back to full strength only recently recovering from the famine. As we made our way through the streets, the citizens bowed down to us, knowing are reputation throughout the empire. We made it to the steps of the imperial palace and were greeted by Rameses and his royal guards, a wide tooth grin plastered on his face and chuckling as he came down to greet us.

"Amam, welcome home." The pharaoh pulled him into a warm embrace. "Thank you great pharaoh, it is good to be back home." Amam said and returned the embrace. When they broke apart, they both looked at me, and pharaoh pulled me into his embrace too. Once we exchanged our greeting we made our way into the palace and began discussing our plan for our week long stay.

Rameses spoke first. "Word has spread throughout the empire that horses are begin replaced with dragons for wars, I find this both excellent and worrisome, excellent because not only can we take to the heavens and soar like Horus but also we can use them as living weapons, but also worrisome, due to the fact that we Egyptians have ridden on horse and chariots into battle, but this change may be entirely new to my army, it would take months or perhaps even years to bond with the certain dragon species we wish to go into battle with, Inquisitor Haddock, if I may ask would you train my best horse riders how to train dragons? So that in due time they may ultimately become dragon riders as well?" He asked ever so kindly.

I smiled at the request, ever since I trained Toothless on Berk, I've wanted to teach others who wish honor and respect dragons as living beings not monsters. "I'd be honored great pharaoh." I bowed my head in respect. He smiled and chuckled.

"Excellent, you two must be hungry after your travels, come I'll have my guards escort you to your quarters and dragons cleaned and fed as well."

Great, I've been dying to take a bath for hours, to relax for a while and take time to myself.
Hours later, we bathed, ate and drank our fill until we followed Rameses to a pavilion overlooking the Egyptian empire.

"I'll never get tired of this view, the sheer majesty and beauty of your empire is most impressive great one." I said in awe. Amam laughed at my facial expression, my face was etched with excitement and wonder. "If your majesty would always it, I request me and Hiccup have a race to see which empire is stronger." Amam suggested to Rameses.
"A brilliant idea Amam, I do respect Persia and their empire is most vast indeed, yet let us see which of you wants to prove which empire is supreme. Persia or Egypt."

Me and Amam looked at each other and smirked, this was going to be one hell of an event.

That meant retiring to our quarters early, to get as much rest as possible. Toothless bounded over to me, clearly wanting to go flying. "Sorry bud not tonight, tomorrow night after I'm finished with the race ok?" I said with regret in my voice. Toothless groaned in disappointment but licked my face as a gesture of good will, and went to his side of the room and began to drift off.

As my eye lids became heavy, I thought of what tomorrow would bring, would Amam win? Or would I? I didn't dwell on it and dozed off, anticipating tomorrow's promise of thrill.