Chapter 5: Persia

Hiccups pov

"You're so weak useless! I don't know why Uncle Stoick even lets you stilll live." I'm definitely hallucinating. I see Snotlout and my bullies before me.

"You've allied with a dragon?! You're not only weak, but also a traitor!" I groan, the sunlight beating down on me and Toothless with force.

Every step I took was like dragging hundreds of pounds on my shoulders. Saying it was hot would be a great understatement. The heat was intense, enough to boil your tongue from your head. That's what it was out here, a vast ocean of sand and hotter than any summer in Berk I've ever experienced. We've been out of civilization for a full month, I'm starting to lose hope that me and Toothless will die in this scorching heat.

Supplies were growing dangerously low, including water, go figure.  After days of walking in the desert me and Toothless were nearly done for, that is until we saw it. Two massive statues of women with wings on either side of the trench we were walking in, the craftsmanship and design of the statues were astonishing, unlike anything I've ever seen with my eyes.

Me and Toothless looked at each other, our train of thought was the same...  "civilization must be close by." I thought. A sudden burst of energy surged through me, we endured many days and nights in the desert and now we're going to survive. I climbed on top of Toothless and we flew forward, determined to find civilization.

After five minutes, we saw it.

A massive city, the biggest I've seen since our travels, it was beautiful, truly a utopia on earth, the buildings were huge, and I saw them. Dragons. A lot of them casually walking by men, women, and children and they weren't being killed, I was in complete awe, I think I found where I want to live.

I ordered Toothless to land at the entrance of the city gates and I saw merchants, traders and other people back away from us, awe written all over their faces. As we enter the city it was filled with men, women, children and dragons, the likes of which I've never seen before.

We stroll into a massive market square where people are buying goods, linen, weapons and so on. I lay eyes on a pack of dragons that look like Speed Stingers but are much bigger and have sharp claws and talons, I chuckle in disbelief. However I'm drawing attention as people are whispering "Fury" over and over again.

Soldiers arrive and have weapons drawn, I raise my hands up, showing them I'm no threat. Suddenly someone yells. "MAKE WAY FOR KING DARIUS!!" All the citizens, merchants, and soldiers in the arena bowed and this Darius rode on a black stallion covered in gold. The man himself strode toward me and Toothless and we both bow our heads before the king.

"You're the Northern man yes?" Darius asked,
I bowed my head. "Yes your highness." I looked at the people surrounding the King. I saw two teenagers who looked at me, they must be the kings heirs, and finally the boy spoke up. "Your a long way from home, why are you here, on the other side of the world?"

His question was laced with genuine curiosity.
I remembered every painful memory of being physically and verbally abused, rejected and humiliated time and again. No one has ever wanted to have that much civilized conversations with me.

"I left my home because my people treated me worse than a slave, even my own father."
The king nodded and put a hand on my shoulder, I looked him in the eyes and he smiled at me.

"Young man, your eyes have told me of your suffering, pain and loss. But this can be an advantage, one that can serve me well."
I gave the King a questionable look, he led me inside the palace, I was shocked at what I saw. This room alone was bigger than the Great Hall on Berk, there were pillars, gold, and furniture carved and designs I've never seen before. "My boy, have you any interest in learning how to fight? And protect those who can't defend themselves?" The king spoke again.

I was taken back by the question, but none the less I nodded my head, he smiled from ear to ear. "Excellent, you've taken the first step into becoming an Inquisitor, defenders of both man and dragons in my kingdom." Excitement courses through my veins, I've never had an opportunity presented to me such as this. "Sire, I'd be most honored to serve such a cause." I said with humility.

The king gave a hearty laugh and patted my shoulder. "Excellent! Tonight you rest, and tomorrow you will be trained in the ways of an inquisitor. And please before you retire to your quarters what is your name?" I am no longer Hiccup the Useless here, it's a fresh start. "Hiccup, my name is Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III." The king smiled and embraced me as a father would his own son. "Welcome to Persia young Hiccup Haddock." I smiled and nodded in appreciation, this is it, the beginning of a new chapter in my life.