KEITH

'What do I say? What would Lance say?' I thought. She was touching my face. Well, not my face. My helmet. But she was so close. I could feel her warm breath on my face.

"Look, I don't kiss on the first date."
I put my hands up in fake surrender, like I'd imagined Lace would.

I wanted to slap myself as soon as I said it. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks, and she blushed too.

Nitro managed to keep her mouth a straight line, and grumbled,
"That's not what I was going to do."

She lifted off my helmet, and I exhaled. I felt so stupid. I shouldn't have said anything at all. I saw her eyes widen for a second, as my hair tumbled out. I blushed and smiled, looking away. I took a hand off the steering, and ran a hand through it.

"You're..."
She was at a loss of words.

"Incredibly good looking?"
I suggested, jokingly.

"Yeah."
She said quickly, without thinking. I was surprised. Nitro caught herself, blushing a deep red. I didn't want to embarrass her further, so I changed the subject quickly.

"How's your leg?"

"I'll take care of it, Space Boy."
She opened her suitcase, and wrapped cloth around the wound. Sol took a yellow serum and swiped it over the thin cloth. She put it away, locking the suitcase again.

"What is that stuff?"

"Skin cell replacement. When it dries, my leg will be back to normal. Cool, right? I made it myself..."

"You made it yourself? How?"

She sighed.
"I just... like that kind of stuff. I enrolled in a small biologist school years ago. Not everyone's obsessed with space exploration, you know."

"What happens now that you've left?"

She sucked in a breath.
"I think the salvation of the human race is a good enough excuse to miss grad night, don't you think?"

I laughed.
"Yeah, I get it. I went to pilot school, and then... well... you know..."

She raised an eyebrow.
"The universe needed saving?"

"Yeah... something like that..."
We'd reached the castle, and I landed Red swiftly. I got out of the seat, pulling Nitro with me. I couldn't let the team see her. Not yet, anyways.

"Um... do you mind staying here until I get back? It'll only be a little while. Then I'll come back and get you."

"You won't forget my suitcase, right?"

"No, of course not."

She nodded sleepily, sitting back down in my seat.
"Hurry up, Space Boy."

I smiled, and ran to meet the team. Shiro was disappointed that we were late in arriving to the fight, and therefore were unable to protect most of the innocent people. He waved us off, he wanted to be alone.

I tried not to raise suspicions as I hurriedly walked back to the Red Lion, only to find that she was quietly sleeping on my chair. I couldn't help but smile. I brushed her soft hair out of her face, and lifted her stealthily to my room. I set Nitro on the bed gingerly, and let her sleep peacefully.

It was really late, after I'd left the room and came back with the least disgusting goop I could scavenge in the kitchen. I set it down on my dresser, and sat next to her on the bed. I don't know why, it just felt right. I wrapped an arm around her and drifted off to sleep.