KEITH

"Are you okay?"
I asked, concerned.

"I'm fine. Thank you."

"Why did he do it?"
I shook my head.

"I think he wanted revenge on you."

"I don't know why he insists on beating me on everything."
I laughed, rubbing the back of my neck. Nitro smiled her usual small smile, and I reached over to hold her hand. She grasped on, tracing my leather fingerless gloves lightly.

"Hey, why don't I teach you how to fly? Remember, I promised you?"
I suddenly offered, to get her mind off Lance. She smiled again.

"Yeah, that would be great..."

I pulled her hand toward the Red Lion, but she stopped short of Red.
"Are you insane?!"

"You said you wanted to learn-"

"Yeah, in a normal ship, not a part of Voltron I'm going to wreck!"

"Oh. Well, you're right, actually..."
I laughed nervously.

Allura got Nitro a little space aircraft, and we climbed in. It was way less spacious than the Red Lion, for sure. But it was still nice, although not brand new. Nitro took a seat in front of me in the pilot's seat, comfortably.

She leaned back into me, after I'd instructed her how to start the ship. I blushed, then remembered that we were just friends. She pulled back on the controls, my hands around hers.

We took off, and she hooted with laughter. I laughed with her, and then helped her level out the aircraft. It was out of the atmosphere now, and peacefully quiet. We looked down on the world, the setting sun turning everything orange. I smiled at her, kissing her neck. She turned to me.

"Thank you, Keith. For teaching me."

"Of course, Nitro."

She turned to look at me, before we descended back to the planet. We landed, and Nitro beamed.
"I never thought I'd fly, you know?"

She climbed on the roof of the spacecraft, pulling me up with her. We laid down, looking at the stars.

"I think I kind of knew."

"Knew what, Keith?"

"I've always wanted to fly."

I paused before continuing solemnly,
"I never knew my parents, but I always feel something similar to how I'm supposed to feel when I'm flying. Like... I was meant to be a pilot."

"I get you. It's the same for me, but with science. That connection..."
She smiled sadly, taking my hand.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to know... what are your parents like?"

"Just like me, I guess. Pushy, aggressive, stubborn..."

"I don't think that about you."

"Really?"
Nitro laughed.

"Tell me, why were you living alone?"

She sighed, shrugging.
"I wanted to be a biologist. They wanted me to be an astronaut."

I rubbed her hand.
"And now you're both."

"They don't even know where I am."

"I think... we both found home."
I wrapped my arm around her shoulder. She pressed her head into my chest, hugging my waist.

"Spaceships? I doubt that qualifies as a real home, Keith." Nitro snorted.

"It's better than what I had."

She glanced at me, concerned.
"What did you have?"

"A home in the desert, away from people. It was lonely. But it was okay."

"Keith..."

I closed my eyes, remembering.
"The worst part, was that I ran. I had a choice to stay, but I didn't. The orphanage... I didn't like it there. I went to the Garrison, but I guess it just wasn't for me..."

"You're the best pilot I know."

"I could've been better."
I opened my eyes, looking at her.

"You didn't need them, and you still don't. You're the pilot of the most powerful machine in the universe."

"Thanks, Nitro."
I smiled sadly, pulling her jacket more tightly around her because it became kind of breezy. She smiled.

"You didn't need me to tell you that. You should already know-"

"Yeah, actually. I really did."
I smiled, curling up with Nitro and falling asleep on the roof of the ship.