LANCE

I found Nitro sitting on a cliff too, overlooking the small village and hugging her knees. I sat down next to her, sprawling out on the soft ground.

"I thought you were sleeping."

"I was. Did you miss me?"
I teased, and she snorted.

"Not particularly."

"Why did you run here, of all places?"

Nitro sighed, and sprawled out on the ground with me. I smiled at her, and she returned the act of friendship.

"I can see everything from here. I can see the village, and my friends, and my... Keith..." She hesitated.

"Your... Keith?"
I raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

"No, not my Keith. I meant..."

"Do you like him?"

I had to know. Keith had always been my competitor, but over Nitro? There should never had been any competition with her. I should have won a long time ago, and it was getting on my nerves. Sure, there was Allura, but Nitro was just cooler. A real fighter.

"He's my friend."
She said quietly, and I beamed.

"So, what about me?"

"Lance-"

"Ahh, I see. If you're not going to tell me directly, maybe you'll tell me another way...?" I stroked my chin.

"Um, no thanks."

"Hard to get, huh? I like that..."

"Listen, Lance. I'm not interested in a relationship, okay? Just drop it."
She got up off the ground, and I followed and scrambled after her.

"But you can admit that I'm hotter than Keith, right?" I called after her.

She snapped suddenly, gripping my jacket, and clenching her teeth.
"I said I'm not interested."

"Then who are you interested in?"

She mumbled something.

I looked over her shoulder, at Keith. He was walking towards us with a now scared expression. I grinned.

"Kiss me, Nitro."

"No."

She let go of my jacket, and pushed me away. I grabbed her wrist, and pulled her into a kiss. She resisted, pulling away.

"I said no!"

"Nitro!"
Keith finally reached us, running. She pushed me away, and looked at Keith.

"I didn't... Keith, I wouldn't-"

"I know."
He said simply, wrapping her into a hug. I scowled loudly, and he turned.

"Oh, so you hug him?!"

"Lance, what's wrong with you?!"
He yelled at me, his face turning red.

"Whatever, alright? At least girls don't run away from me!" I yelled at him.

He visibly flinched, and let go of Nitro. She let him leave, looking away from Keith. I knew I'd guessed right.

"You ran from me?"

"No!"
She quipped defensively.

"Then why did you run?"

"I needed a break, that's all."

He turned back to me, obviously hurt.
"Lance, just... don't touch her."

"Why do you care?"
I spat at Keith, but he remained calm.

"She's my best friend."

And they left together, away from he cliff top overlooking the village. I sat down as the sun set, thinking of Nitro. I shouldn't have, no matter how much I didn't get along with Keith.