NITRO - SPAZZ'S SACRIFICE

"Why isn't this working?!"
Lotor finally became impatient after I took the burns without speaking.

"She's but a mere human."
(F/n) offered. Either she was trying to protect me, or she was giving Lotor inspiration to try harder.

"Call in the other soldiers. I have a little announcement to make."

The army shuffled in eventually.

"The Sun works for Voltron, alongside one of our own."
He accused, and a murmur went through the room.

"Do you know the Earth myth, Sun? The king had a child, and two women went to claim the child as their own. The king told them to cut the child in half, can you imagine?"
He let out a sick laugh.

I knew this story.

"And the real mother of the child said the other woman could keep it. Do you know why, Sun?"

It became very quiet.

"Because she loved her child so much, she would even give him away to spare his life."
He finished.

"What does it have to do with me?"
I spoke dangerously slow.

"Because, Sun, we're going to find the one willing to spare your life..."

My heart sank. No...

"By giving away theirs."

He drove something sharp into my spine, and I couldn't stop the scream that came with it. Lotor twisted, and stabbed deeper.

I tried not to look at Spazz.

I didn't want him to do anything stupid, especially not for me.

Too late. Our eyes locked, and I could only imagine how pathetic I looked. He stepped forward.

"Brother, no more of this."
He commanded.

"Why do you care?!"

He suddenly realized Spazz's intentions.

"Oh... I see how it is..."
He chuckled.

Lotor pulled out his sword, and with a single slice, cut off the chains holding me to the ground.

"Go to your hero before I end him."
He pushed me at Spazz.

I locked him in a weak embrace.
"Spazz, please... don't do this..."

He kissed my forehead.
"I love you, okay? Be good to Keith. He's a good guy. I know you think so, too..."

I wanted to cry.
"You love me? And Keith... I thought you hated him?"

Tears swam in his eyes.
"You're my first, and I want you to be my last. And Keith? He makes you happy. I know this. He makes you happy, and I want you to be happy. Even if... it's not with me."

"Spazz..."
I tried to hold back tears.

"No... don't cry. Never cry. Fight. Be strong. Promise me. Promise you'll be strong, Nitro. Promise me."
He touched my cheek.

"I promise."
I let out a shaky breath.

He pulled me in for one last kiss. I held on tight, begging him not to do this. Spazz rested his forehead on mine. He grabbed my arms.

"You promised."
He whispered.

I was picked up and thrown backwards into an escape pod.

Lotor didn't even try to stop the pod. He just slashed at Spazz's back, my friend's sad smile never fading away as I yelled after him.

He dropped to the floor, and a swarm of Galra soldiers attacked him, shredding him to pieces.

Tears slipped down my face for the first time in years.

The pod shot off towards the Castle, and I buried my head in my hands and tried to stop the flow of tears coming from my face.

"I promised."