KEITH

I was walking to my room after the landing when I'd passed Pidge's room. I heard Nitro talking, and pressed my ear against the wall.

"Then why are you so worried Keith's mad at you in the first place?"
Pidge asked.

My heart thudded loudly for a response. Tell her, Nitro. Tell her that you don't think I'm mad at you...

"He's angry with me. I don't even know what I did wrong, Pidge."

I felt my heart drop to my stomach.

I wanted more than anything to kick open that door and kiss her and apologize, for being so stupid. I longed to tell her that I wasn't mad, and that it wasn't her fault. She didn't do anything wrong, it was me. Nitro felt horrible because of me, and it was to protect her. I wanted to scream for her to know that I didn't want this, I didn't want any of this. I wanted to tell her that all I wanted was for her to be safe...

'But that's not all I want.'
I realized.

I wanted her, to be with her and hold her in my arms close to my chest. I wanted to touch her hair and kiss her cheek, and tell her how intelligent and beautiful she was. I wanted Nitro to be mine, and only mine. I wanted to kiss her in front of Lance, and fight for her and protect her and be invincible together. I wanted to stroke her back if she ever cried, and I wanted to make her laugh and smile at me.

I wanted to be with her, 'til the end.

'But she'll never like me.'

I hung my head low, and lay depressed on my bed until sleep took over and made me forget.