Chapter 8

"My wife and children give me life. They're the reason I get up every morning and do what I do. I didn't think I would get married again, especially because of what happened but Jayde is my life. We got engaged and we got married in Vegas. It was something we didn't plan on doing but I don't regret it at all. She is more than my wife, she is and always will be, my best friend. She will be the first person to tell me if I'm doing something stupid so, she keeps me in line".

Sonny and Jayde were at the precinct when Sonny handed her the article he had printed off his laptop. "What's this?" She asked taking it from him. A smile came to her face as she read it. "Cute! I love it! I'm going to tape it on my desk!" She got a roll of tape and she put the quote where she could always see it. "Thanks Sonny!"

The rest of the day, every time she saw the article, it made her smile. During lunch, she took a picture of it and texted it to Johnny with the caption: Sonny found this. After work, she went home to find her son playing with the sitter. When Steven saw his mother, he crawled over to her with a smile on his face. He put his arms up to be picked up. She bent down and picked him up then talked with the sitter about his day.

After putting Steven down for the night, she tried to focus on her homework and studying but her brain seemed preoccupied with something else. Sighing in frustration, she grabbed her iPad and opened up Tumblr. You win, she told her procrastination. Tumblr always seemed to be a good distraction and it always seemed to be calling her name.

It's almost eight and I just put Steven down for the night. He is such a little Johnny, it's insane! I'm so happy to have my little family: Johnny, Lily-Rose, Jack and Steven. I will always remember the day we got married (for the second time). Our wedding will always be a happy point in my life. I know I say it a lot, but I will always be thankful for my husband. He loves me when I feel like I'm going insane and he's always believed in me. Today I celebrate another year of being sober and Johnny is the reason why I'm still here and why I got clean. He is more than my husband and father to three amazing children, but he is and always will be my best friend. In front of our friends and family, we promised to love and cherish each other until death do us part.

She posted the entry and then checked her email where she saw a new message from Rafael: Hey, just wanted to know if you're busy tomorrow after work. I know Johnny is out of town and if you're sitter can't stay, I understand. I just wanted to ask if you wanted to go see Wicked with me. I know it's short notice, I just got the tickets today from Carmen. Let me know. – Rafael

After reading the email, she called her sitter who said that she would love to stay longer. She thanked her then emailed Rafael back. I would love to go! I called the sitter and she said she can stay later. I'm excited! What time does it start and all that jazz? – Jayde
I'm glad you're coming with! The show starts at 8 but I was thinking we could get something to eat before. I could meet you at the station or you could come to my office, whatever works for you. – Rafael
That plan sounds awesome! Let's meet at the station. That way I can change if I have to. You never know what a toddler will throw at you. Literally! I'll share my horror stories tomorrow if you're interested. Speaking of toddlers, I hear mine calling my name. I'll see you tomorrow. – Jayde

Rafael read her reply and laughed. He never got the chance to have children of his own, but he loved when his friends talk about their own. Jayde went to little Steven and saw that he woke up. "Da! Da", he said. Jayde gently took him out of his crib and brought him to the couch. "You miss daddy?" Steven laid his head on her chest and he rubbed his eye. "I know you're tired". She got up and started dancing around. His eyes got heavy and he eventually went back to sleep. Jayde laid him back in his crib then kissed his forehead.

"Yeah I just put him down again. He woke up wanting you", Jayde told Johnny. They were video chatting and in the background she could see the interior of a hotel room.
"You know I want to be there".
"I know I'm not blaming you. You're doing something you love and I'm not going to complain about it".
"This is why I married you".
This made her smile. "I'm going out with my friend Rafael tomorrow after work. He got an extra ticket to see Wicked and he knows that I've been wanting to see it".
"You go have fun! You'll have to tell me how it is. Today has been hell. One of the prop pieces just went to shit. It was the funniest fucking thing".
"Oh my god. That sounds horrible!"
"Yeah, so hopefully we'll be able to reshoot tomorrow".
"Oh, did you see what I texted you?"
He laughed. "I knew you'd love it! Where'd you find it?"
"Sonny found it actually and he printed it off for me. I taped it to my desk at work so I can always see it".
He smiled. "Well I'm glad you love it!"

The next evening, Rafael found her at the station. "You ready?"
"Yeah. I just have to make sure I'm toddler proof", she said.
"You're good", Amanda told her. "I would have told you if you had anything on you".

During the evening, she shared horror stories of having food thrown at her. "You seriously don't want to know". He laughed. "Ok then". After supper, they walked to the theater and stood in line. They talked about work as they waited. Finally they were let in and they went to their seats. As they waited, she felt a tap on her shoulder and she turned around to a couple girls. "Excuse me, are you Jayde Depp?" After taking a picture with the girls and signing an autograph, she looked at Rafael. "Get used to it, Rafi". He laughed and shook his head.

After the show, he brought her home and she invited him in. He declined since it was late. "Alright, I'll see you tomorrow then. Thanks for inviting me", she told him.