𝟔

𝗰𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗲'𝘀 𝗽𝗼𝘃

I've never been so open about my feelings. I've never cried in front of anyone. I was always told to be strong and independent. I'm not a kid anymore, I rely on myself, not those around me. I don't show anyone my weaknesses because it makes for bad business and an easy reputation.  That's what I was taught.

It's been a couple of hours ever since we finished dinner and, once again, I have completely lost track of time. I check the clock and it reads 1:29 AM.

"Could you guys drive me to my friend's house now?" I ask Kimberley and Cheryl. "Mum and Dad will kill me if I don't get there."

"Why don't you just stay here, babe? We've got plenty of guest rooms," Kimberley gently says with eyes that plead me to stay with them.

"Are you sure?" I ask, not wanting to overstay. "It's really okay, I just need a ride—"

"Camille, it's almost two in the morning," Cheryl stops my rambling.

"Just stay," Kimberley agrees.

I hesitantly nod, feeling like I'm bothering them. "Thanks. Really."

"No need to thank us, you being here is already a treat," Kimberley tells me as she ruffles my hair. Her words are always the exact thing I want to hear, which makes it hard to know if they're genuine or if they come from a place of guilt for the child of the absentee parents.

"Let's get you up to bed," Cheryl says as she stands up with Kimberley, showing me to the stairs.  I'm thankful that they're so gentle with me because at the moment I feel really fragile.

We stop at their room first to find me some clothes to sleep in. The bedroom walls are painted a burgundy red and the bedding is white with beautiful stitching. They have a little sofa and above it there's a bunch of pictures. Cheryl and Kimberley walk into their giant wardrobe looking for something that could fit me, so I distract myself with the pictures on the wall. They're of Kimberley and her family on one side and on the other are photographs of Cheryl and her family. In the middle, there are pictures of all of them together as one big happy family.

My eyes find themselves on a picture of Cheryl with a baby in her arms. She seems to be about 18 or so, not much older than I am now. I know it was a stupid thing to do, but I lied about my birthday. I just can't believe that she spat it out like that. If Cheryl really is my Mum, I'd be happy because I know that I would love it here, but at the same time, I can't just let her shoot a DNA test into me and see if I'm hers right away. I'm going to need some time to get to know her if I want this to ever work out. Then again, I don't want her to give up on the hope that I'm hers. What do I do?

"How's this?" Cheryl asks as she holds up a black long-sleeve shirt that has Messy Little Raindrops across the chest.  On the back, it has dates and places like a concert t-shirt. She also held up some old-looking pajama shorts. I nod my head and they take me back to a guest room, which is right down the hall from their bedroom.

"Go right on in there, we'll tuck you in bed when you're done changing," Kimberley says as she points to the bathroom, gesturing for me to get changed.

"Is it okay if I take a shower?"

"Of course, there should be some soap and hair stuff in there already," Kimberley says and sits on the bed, Cheryl doing the same.

I walk into the bathroom and set the clothes down on the counter. I start the water and wait for it to heat up, feeling a release of stress just hearing the sound of the relaxing water hitting the shower floor. I am about to strip and hop in until I remember to put the towel next to the shower. I find some towels in a little closet and hear Kimberley and Cheryl's voices echo through the walls. I'm not usually an eavesdropper but I hear my name, so how can I not listen?

"Camille is so special, I've never felt a connection with a teen before. I know I've been through the whole X Factor stuff working with teens and most of my fans are her age but...she's special."

"What are you saying, babe?" Kimberley questions Cheryl.

"I'm saying that...I think she's mine. Maybe I forgot the date or someone messed up her birthday on some papers. I don't know, but that little girl is mine," Cheryl states with confidence. I know I have to say something, I just wasn't ready before. I want to burst through the bathroom door and go straight to the clinic for the test, but I can't. I'm not ready. Plus what would my parents say? Not like they'd care anyway.

"Cheryl, don't get your hopes up. She said that it wasn't her birthday, we have to trust her. You can't tell a kid that you could be her Mum because if you turn out to be, she expects you to be there for her and take her in. She'll want to be yours forever again. Are you even ready for that?"

"I'm so ready for that, especially if it's with you. You would be such a good Mum, Kimba. I just don't think there's a way for her to not be mine," Cheryl continues with her speculation and a smile subconsciously makes its way to my lips. The thought of Kimberley and Cheryl being my two mums doesn't sound normal, but it's better than my normal. I've never really had normal in my life, so why start now?

I stop eavesdropping and get in the shower, not wanting to take too long. I turn off the water after bathing myself and put on the clothes, only just now realizing that the shirt is one of Cheryl's tour t-shirts. I slide the shorts on and quietly laugh to myself. The shorts look like they're not even on and the shirt is too long and the sleeves are hanging off my arms.

"Why are you so giggly in there?" Cheryl asks from the other side of the door. I open the door and it takes me a couple of seconds because of how deep my hands are in the sleeves. I walk into the bedroom and find Cheryl and Kimberley lying in bed.

"I think I've lost my hands and shorts!" I giggle, making them look at me for a second before bursting into laughter. I see Cheryl gesture for me to walk over to her and go to the side of the bed she's on.

"It was the smallest I had, sorry," Cheryl laughs as she rolls the sleeves up for me.

"It's okay, it's actually quite comfy," I say with a smile.

"Come on, we'll tuck you in," Cheryl says as she sits up and lets me hop into bed. Kimberley helps her pull the covers up to my chin and they both place a kiss on each of my cheeks.

"Goodnight, sweetheart," Kimberley's soothing voice murmurs. I let out a yawn and almost immediately fell into a deep sleep. 

Is this what it feels like to be properly tucked in and loved? I've never felt such affection and I've loved being here, but I have to take my time. I have to wait until the right time. I'm not sure when that will be, but I sure hope it's soon.