Chapter eight

Adriana's POV

The continuous sound of the tapping of my foot bounced on each of these walls as it echoed leaving my whole body to tremble with anticipation as time was ticking; this was too risky.

I was startled by the sudden noise that came from the door when it opened to reveal mom. She walked in and soon, my focus on controlling my nerves dissipated when she approached me.

My eyes instantaneously widened when mother stepped forward and revealed what was held in her hands, it was a gun.

"Mom, y-you... where did you get it from?" I suddenly felt palpitations,

This is happening.

"Do not worry about that at all Adriana, you will go down and wait for me and your father however, before he can get down I will somehow stall him." She explained and I nodded my head, "Then I will come down and take you away from here, just be prepared. Don't worry about Antonio, I will deal with him." She clenched her jaws as I firmly grabbed my bouquet of lilies.

Mom turned around to leave and get to work but I stopped her to embrace her,
"Mom, what if it doesn't work..?" I whisper,

She wrapped her arms around me firmly before she pulled away and cupped my cheek,
"Promise me that if none of this works out, no matter what happens you get out of here regardless." She said, "Promise me cara." I held her hand and pinched my eyes closed, I didn't want to promise her anything or even imagine the unthinkable but she was right and so was I. If something was to happen, I would have to leave no matter what.

"Okay, but you have to promise me the same thing to." I nod my head and frown,

"I promise Tesoro, I promise."

"I promise mom, that I'll leave regardless."

Mom eventually pulled herself away from me and then turned to leave. Once she did, my heart was so heavy and my throat that I began to feel nauseous because I had a feeling at the back of my mind that something was going to happen that would leave us in danger. I look down to my flat stomach and clench my teeth; if I die today then so will this innocent child.

God forgive me.

Dante,

If only it was you in that alter today waiting for me....

After what felt like an eternity, I was finally walking down the set of stairs to hell. I walk down the stairs with my head bowed down while one of the workers of the church walked me down. As I walked down approaching the aisle, I couldn't help but feel pain just swallow my whole stomach because I was so nervous. My heart palpitated as I thought about what would happen in the next few minutes; it was about to be life-changing... mom was probably distracting Destefano right now but all I have to do was be prepared to run.

I reached the bottom of the stairs and when I did, my heart dropped to my stomach and I suddenly couldn't breath.

Oh my God...

I froze in my spot as I come face to face with Destefano who stood in front of me with a smile on his face. I watch him in shock as I wonder what happened and why he was here when he should be upstairs on the floor probably knocked out by mom or locked somewhere, away from the alter. Soon, realisation settles upon me that he must've did something to mom because when I searched the area with my eyes, she was nowhere to be seen. I began to panic as tears had fallen out of my eyes before I return my gaze back to Destefano who offered me his arm.