Chapter 4

"Paladins," Allura claps her hands. She had wandered into the kitchen with Coran halfway through breakfast. "After you're all done, I'd like you all to go to the training room. I know we are past team bonding exercises, but I thought today would be a good time to try out the new improved Gladiator."

"Wait, you mean that thing that we tried to fight before that totally whipped our butts?" Hunk gulps.

"That's the one!" Coran grins.

"Didn't Keith and I shoot that into space?" Lance asks.

You look questioningly at Keith. He mouths "Long story."

"I made a new one!" Coran's chest puffs out with pride.

Hunk exchanges glances with Pidge. "I do not like this idea."

"Me either," The Green Paladin shudders. "Last time it was set at the level for a child. We didn't even come close to beating it."

Lance laughs. "It threw Keith around like a rag doll."

Keith scowls from across the table. "It did not."

"Did too." Lance says smugly.

"Did not."

"Did too."

"Not."

"Too."

"Lance. Keith." Shiro gives them a look.

Keith huffs and looks away. Lance just smirks. Shiro turns to Allura. "I'm sorry, Princess. Please continue."

"Right. I want you all to work on bringing it down together. Doing this will help you when you're in your lions."

"Lions?" You ask.

"The five paladins of Voltron are each in charge of a giant metal lion. These five lions form Voltron." Shiro says. "It's hard to explain. We can show you later."

You nod.

"Allura? What's (Y/N) supposed to do?" Pidge asks.

Allura turns to look at you. "Oh, I had almost forgotten. You can come train with us if you like. I imagine someone like you is pretty skilled in fighting."

"I am." You say simply.

"Splendid. You can help the Paladin's with their exercise. I'm afraid I don't have any armor like their's for you to wear." Allura wrings her hands.

"Don't worry." You grin. "I don't need armor. All I need is a dagger."

The Paladins exchange glances.

You all meet in the training room about thirty minutes later. The Paladins are in their armored suits, bayards in hand. You're holding a beautiful dagger, given to you by Allura, your fingers curled around the hilt. You figure you'll watch first before you step in. You've never trained against a robot like this before; you'd like to survey it before you start fighting.

When you're all ready, Allura starts the Gladiator. "Good luck Paladins!" Coran and her watch from a corner of the room.

A tall metal man drops from the ceiling. It lands gracefully before standing.

"Remember, guys. Team work." Shiro says, before he charges at the Gladiator. His metal arm shines as he slices at the robot. It blocks Shiro's attack with a long metal staff. It whacks at Shiro who does his best to roll away.

As it turns to stab its staff's point into Shiro's side, Hunk attacks it from behind, machine gun in hand.

"Take that!" Hunk says triumphantly.

The other paladin's jump into action. Pidge and Lance charge at the Gladiator. Lance shoots it in the side making it lose its balance as Pidge wraps her bayard's cord around it and electrifies it. The robot shudders. It grabs at Pidge's wire and yanks her across the room, throwing her into Hunk. They lay on the floor, groaning.

Keith darts in and out of the Gladiator's range. His red and white sword parries the blows from the staff. The Gladiator has yet to notice you. Most likely because you're crouched against a wall, observing.

The Gladiator kicks Keith out of the way and turns back to Shiro who tries to sneak up behind it. It grabs Shiro by the throat and swings him around. It lets go and Shiro flies threw the air, crashing into Lance, and then Pidge and Hunk who had just gotten to their feet. They collide with a painful crunch and slide across the floor. None of them move.

'Hmm. The Gladiator is good at keeping his top half protected, but not his bottom half.' You notice.

Only Keith is left. He struggles to his feet as the Gladiator approaches him. You decide now is the time to take action. You dart out of your hiding spot and parry a blow directed toward Keith's chest. The metal of the staff scraps against your dagger as you push the Gladiator back. You kick its legs out from under it and it crashes to the ground. You leap on it as it tries to get up, your legs wrapped around it tightly. It manages to throw you off, but you land lightly on your feet, unfazed.

You weave in and out, jabbing at certain areas, trying to get it to lose its balance. You run up it and jump off, kicking it in the head with your foot as you come down. It staggers then starts bumbling toward you, more determined than ever.

You run away from it as it gets closer. You circle around it, moving quicker than it can. Once you see an opening, you kick off the wall and launch yourself at it. You grab its shoulders, and back flip off it, hands still gripping it. You pull the gladiator with you as you flip, and it comes crashing down behind you. Before it even has a moment to process, you're sitting on its broad chest, your dagger at its throat.

"Simulation complete." It croaks before shutting off.

You relax, the dagger slipping from its throat. Wiping your sweaty brow, you stagger to your feet. You feel someone's eyes on you and turn around. The five paladins, Allura, and Coran are all staring at you in disbelief.

"But-but," Coran stutters. "I made it so no one would be able to beat it."

You shrug. "Sorry, but I think I just did."

The paladins are still gazing at you in awe as you make your way over to them.

"That. Was. So. Cool!" Pidge cries, jumping up and down excitedly.

"How did you do that?" Keith exclaims.

"That was awesome!" Hunk claps you on the shoulder.

"Babe, that was so hot. I'm not lion." Lance flashes a smile.

You smirk and grab him, twisting his arm behind his back. He yelps. "Sorry! Sorry! Don't hurt my beautiful figure!"

You let go and he stumbles away from you. Hunk and Pidge snicker at him. Even Keith cracks a smile.

"(Y/N) that was incredible! Where did you learn how to fight like that?" Shiro grabs you by the shoulders, a smile on his face.

You blush from all their attention. "I, uh, grew up with this group of rebel fighters. They taught me all I know." You answer Shiro's question.

"What group?" Keith asks.

"Oh, um," You make a split second decision about whether you should tell them. The group was a big secret. If word ever got out about them or their location, Zarkon would find them and destroy them. "Not one you would know."

"Does it really matter?" Hunk asks. "She's brilliant!"

"Indeed." Allura comes over from a sulking Coran. "You fight better than any man I've met. You have techniques I've never even heard of, let alone seen."

"I can try to help teach you some of them," You offer. "It might come in handy in hand to hand combat with the Galra." The word leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

"That would be perfect!" Allura looks sideways at Shiro who nods in agreement.

"Great." You smile. "When should we start?"

"Right now." Keith steps forward. His eyes shine when they meet yours, respect written in his face.

"Excellent." Your eyes gleam. "Let's begin."