Chapter 47

Your sword crunches through a Galran. The world around you is a blur as you fight. Despite the pain lacing up your body, you keep moving forward. You're aware of Blu unleashing his inner storm next to you, Varius still slung over his shoulder. Keith and Lance fight side by side farther ahead, Keith's sword gleaming in the dim light. Shiro's arm glows as he runs soldiers through.

You push through the masses, the bodies around you slowly piling up. You've just finished slicing the head off of one soldier when you feel the air behind you shift and you slide out of the way as Deletres appears in front of you, her hand curled into a ball of dark magic.

"You've escaped my clutches once." She laughs maniacally. "I won't let that happen again."

And as she launches herself at you, you realize with a shred of fear that she truly is insane.

*****************

Blu ducks as a blaster shot zooms past his head. Varius is heavy on his shoulder, but Blu simply adjusts him before continuing his fight. He can feel himself coming into his true self. He closes his eyes as the storm takes over and when his eyes open, his eyes are like piercing ice.

He inhales before blowing out a low breath. The air around him forms into a swirling blizzard, freezing the soldiers around him. He menacingly steps forward, every step sending a sheen of ice across the ground. Blu growls and with a swoop of his sword falls five soldiers.

Varius stirs and mutters, "It's getting a little chilly. Do you need some warmth?"

"As much as I'd love to fight by your side," Blu voice melts, "I want you to rest."

"But-"

"Rest, love." Blu murmurs, and he feels Varius go limp as he gives in.

Blu once again takes on his cold persona and with a yell, slides across the ground, his hand tracing the floor. He flings his hand up and a wall of ice kills a crowd of soldiers rushing toward him.

He continues slicing up the soldiers near him. He slams his sword up to the hilt in their heads and whips it out again. He whirls around, parrying a blow from a strong Galran.

He spots Shiro, Keith and Lance fighting their way through the ranks of soldiers. Blu feels his blood run colder than the Artic as he sees a familiar red. He stares in disbelief at the sky high red flames that engulf you.

"You didn't tell me you already had a fire user in the family." Varius says.

"Why aren't you asleep?" Blu looks at him over his shoulder.

"How can I sleep with all this commotion?" Varius snaps his fingers weakly and a lick of flames kills a soldier sneaking up on Blu. "Are you going to answer my question?"

"She's never used them." Blu responds, sidestepping and thrusting his sword into a soldier. "She's always said she hasn't wanted anything to do with our mother. She used them once when we were younger and accidentally burned me. She's never used them since."

"Not even if it could've saved her life?"

"Never." Blu repeats.

"I see." Varius stares at you, before his head drops, eyes closing in exhaustion. "She looks magnificent wielding them."

"That she does." Blu smiles faintly. "I just hope she knows what she's doing."

******************

Your sword sings against Deletres'.

"You're never going to beat me." She coos.

An invisible force pushes you back and slams you into the ground. You cry out, and cough violently, blood splattering the rocks.

'I can't use them. I refuse to. I swore I'd never.'

You grit your teeth as Deletres looms over you. Her sword stabs downward and you just barely deflect it.

'I can't.'

You roll to your feet, wincing in pain.

'I refuse.'

Another blast of magic rips at you and you're flung through the air again. Your eyes squeeze shut in agony as you land on your injuries.

'I'm never going to survive if I don't use them. I have to save my friends. I have to let them live. I have to.'

"You're not going to beat me," I say lowly, standing slowly. "I have an ace up my sleeve."

Deletres looks at you puzzled as you close your eyes and reach deep into your core. Your blood warms, then starts to boil in heat. Your face heats up as a breeze blows your hair around your head. The familiar tingle races up your body.

You hear Deletres charge at you and, eyes still closed, you deflect her. You feel her falter at the sudden strength you possess.

"What the hell?"

Your eyes open and Deletres gasps.

"Y-Your eyes." She breathes. "You're a magic user too?" Deletres asks in surprise.

"That's right, bitch." And then you yell and your body erupts in flames.

It'd been years since you used your fire. It was the one thing your mother had given you, besides the gift of life, and you had only used it once in your life. After you had accidently burned Blu, you refused to ever use it again.

***
"Wow! Blu look at this!" Six year old you cried in awe. The small ball of fire resting in your hand wobbled but shone brightly.

"Wow!" Four year old Blu squealed, his small hands on his pudgy cheeks. "That's so cool, (Y/N)!" He squeaked. "You're so awesome!"

You grinned broadly, full of pride. "Watch this!" You furrowed your brow in concentration and slowly the flame in your hands grew bigger.

Blu sighed in admiration, laughing and clapping his hands.

And then suddenly, the tug in your heart grew too intense. You tried to stop, and reign in your power. Your flames grew more and more out of control, the room ablaze.

Blu was screaming, you were screaming. You tried to reach for him and the flames licked at his body. His shirt caught fire, and he screamed frantically.

The door burst open and Ulaz rushed in with four other rebels. They shot you with a tranquilizer before they pulled Blu to safety and you fell to the floor, the fire dying as you lost consciousness.

***

Now, you let go. You unleash all the anger and fire within you. Deletres' gold eyes go wide with fear as you become what you were born to be. A warrioress of Fire, Blood, and Red.

Far off, you can see Blu staring at you. You can feel Keith, Lance, and Shiro's eyes on you in amazement. The sky is lit with your red flames, and the fighting temporarily ceases to take in this wondrous sight.

"I'd like to see you stop me now." You snarl, flames rearing.