Chapter 7

Shiro contacts Allura who, despite Shiro and Coran's wishes, uses a small pod to get to the surface of the planet. After introductions are made between the two princesses, Muta proceeds to lead you to her village.

Everyone is silent as you follow Muta deeper into the woods. Muta talks about her people as you walk, but you're barely listening. Your mind is somewhere else completely.

"My people have been here for generations. My father's father's father's father's father established us here and built us a special community here in the woods."

"It is a nice place to live." Shiro comments as little creatures rustle about the trees and a creature that looks like a butterfly flutters past. Allura follows his gaze, her face lightning up at the sight.

"Aw! Hunk look at that!" Pidge points at a little fuzzy being as it scurries past her.

"It's so cute!" Hunk gushes.

"What is that?" Keith's nose wrinkles.

"That is a falma. It's a small creature that-" As Muta disappears around the bend with the others, you fall back. Sighing, you stop and sit at the base of a tree, your head leaning against the rough trunk. You gaze up at the light streaming down through the leaves above. You close your eyes.

"Whatcha thinking about?"

Your dagger sticks in the tree next to Lance's head. He yelps. Your hand barely even moved to throw it, and he looks terrified as you look over at him.

"That was really not necessary!" He pulls the dagger out and hands it you, sitting next to you. You scoot over to give him some room.

"Don't sneak up on me and it won't happen." You slide your dagger back in its place.

Lance scoffs. "Yeah right. I've seen you toss Keith around." His expression turns serious. "Really, though. What were you thinking about?"

"What my life would have been like if I wasn't taken captive by the Galra." You say after a moment.

"Oh." Lance is quiet. "I'm sorry. That all that happened to you. No one deserves it."

"I don't care about that." Your voice is surprisingly sharp and Lance winces a little. "Sorry. I just- I have a younger brother."

"A brother?" Lance stares at you, sadness written in his eyes.

"His name is Blu." You say.

"Good name." Lance hesitates. "Do you miss him?"

You let out a shaky breath. "God, of course I do. More than anything. He means the world to me." You look at your hands. "I don't even know if he is alive."

"Don't say that!"

"How can I not?!" You shout, jumping to your feet. "Because of the friggen Galra, I didn't come back to him! I left him! I left him all alone!! He's only fifteen! He still needs me!" You take a breath, Lance looking at you concerned.

"He was sick." Your eyes meet his. "Blu was sick and I went onto the Galra ship to get some medical supplies. Our ship was broken down and we couldn't go anywhere. I couldn't take him to a doctor. I tried to steal stuff to fix the engine. I didn't even make it to the medicine." Your shoulders shake. "GOD DAMMIT! HE PROBABLY DIED WITH NO ONE THERE TO HOLD HIM AND COMFORT HIM!"